1st PC. Need Guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyMcKizzle

Solid State Member
Here's the deal. I'm new to building PC's (and this forum, hello everybody:D). I have gone through newegg.com to find the general PC parts I want. However me being new to this means I have no idea whether these parts are compatible or not. I know SOME are, but I don't know if they are with the important one's (MoBo, Video Card, etc.). So I'm going to post the links to all my parts. I'm wondering if someone will go through the links and let me know if these are compatible/if there are any better prices on equal or better products I would be very pleased:) There will be a hefty morale boost for anyone who does this for me;) ANYWAYS Here are the links:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives - Hard Drive
Newegg.com - Rosewill Conqueror RPS-01-WB500P Triple 120mm Fans Steel ATX Mid tower Computer Case with 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases - Case
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops - CPU
Newegg.com - Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BC1067 - Laptop Memory - RAM
Newegg.com - XFX HD-477A-YDFC Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - Video Card
Newegg.com - HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards - Sound Card
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Writer - Bulk - LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners - DVD/CD Writer
Newegg.com - LG W2343T-PF Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 30000:1(DC) - LCD Monitors - Monitor (May buy a used one from around here instead)
Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards - Motherboard

If anyone could provide some support on the matter that'd be great. Just reply with what you think please:)

could work out a few things, good idea on posting here first though :)

you cant use an amd cpu with an intel mobo, youll have to either switch to an amd mobo, or an intel cpu. and youve picked out laptop ram, youd be needing desktop ram :p

what are you gonna use this comp mostly for? if youre not doing anything audio or sound related, you can drop that sound card, as thats taking a big chunk of your budget.

could work out a few things, good idea on posting here first though :)

you cant use an amd cpu with an intel mobo, youll have to either switch to an amd mobo, or an intel cpu. and youve picked out laptop ram, youd be needing desktop ram :p

what are you gonna use this comp mostly for? if youre not doing anything audio or sound related, you can drop that sound card, as thats taking a big chunk of your budget.

Alright, RAM shouldn't be too hard to pick out then, just didn't know that it was laptop RAM/didn't know that there was a difference :p

As for the CPU/MoBo, which would you reccomend switching, the MoBo or the CPU? and can you post a link to a decent one that would be compatible (if you wouldn't mind). And I will be using this computer for gaming, movies, etc. So I would like to keep the sound card, even though it is a bunch of money:/. It'll probably be the last thing I buy though, since it's not essential to the computer.

And the parts (other than the RAM, and CPU/MoBo) should all fit with the case?

for the cpu and mobo, i guess it depends on your budget again.

if you want to keep the cost lower, switch to an amd mobo like ths one. with the 550 and this mobo, you actually have a chance of unlocking it into a full quad, because the x2 and x3's are just quads with 1 or 2 cores disabled, so you could give it a shot.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

if youre lookin to spend a little more, you could switch to an intel cpu.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

if you go the amd route, but you want guaranteed quad, you can get one of the newer athlon ii's.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

for the cpu and mobo, i guess it depends on your budget again.

if you want to keep the cost lower, switch to an amd mobo like ths one. with the 550 and this mobo, you actually have a chance of unlocking it into a full quad, because the x2 and x3's are just quads with 1 or 2 cores disabled, so you could give it a shot.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

if youre lookin to spend a little more, you could switch to an intel cpu.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

if you go the amd route, but you want guaranteed quad, you can get one of the newer athlon ii's.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Okay, it's a bit cheaper, so I'll go the AMD route. What exactly is "quad" and what difference will it make in my computer?

EDIT: @ james.wired Okay thanks, for that, I'll go with that video card for 15 extra bucks, it's not a big deal. And even if I get it used, I would like to get a widescreen 20+" monitor, so I want nice widescreen capabilities either way.:)

quad = 4 cores.

either cpu is a great choice, but @ $99, the x4 620 quad is a really good deal, me thinks.

Yeah $99 seems reasonable, not that I know too much, but $100 doesn't seem like a lot, and if you say it's a good choice I'll trust you. And will RAM fit as long as it's Desktop RAM? Or should I post the link to what I selected now, just to make sure? (and yes I did switch from laptop RAM :p) LASTLY, Will this all work with Vista? I don't know if that's an issue, but I don't want to spend this much money only to find out I have to get a different OS :p

@ Slaymate: Thanks. Favourited so I can use it later;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom