Hard Drive Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
Hello, I am wanting to get a new hard drive for my computer. I am currently debating between two different ones. The first one is:
Hard Drive 1

And the second one is:
Hard Drive 2

Is there any advice on which one is faster, better? I like the idea of getting 500gb more with the Seagate one, however, I'd rather get the WD one if it's going to be faster, I don't believe I will use up that much space. I am currently using a Seagate ST3500320AS and a ST3200021A. Thanks for any advice.

I think the Seagate is slightly faster than the Western Digital one, however Seagate's drive right now has high failure rates. In terms of reliability I'll have to go with the Western Digital.
WD- 5 yrs warranty
Seagate- 3 yrs warranty

My choice would be the Western Digital.

That's what I am leaning towards. They have roughly the same number of reviews, but the Western Digital has more 5 out of 5 egg reviews.

I've had my Seagate 1.5TB for around 9 months now with no problems. I haven't had any problems with any of the Seagate drives I've owned, but I have heard of the failures on these 1.5TBs. That extra 500GB of space is just too tempting..

7200.11 drives were notoriously bad...I would avoid. It's also a generation old.

Also in the 110 dollar pricerange you should not be looking at 1TB drives. I'd get this drive:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

I saw that one too, but I heard the green drives operate slower. They run at 5200 RPM. I believe the 1 TB WD runs at 7200 rpm. All other specifications seem to be the same (besides storage space).

Yeah, same with that Seagate drive. It operates at 5900RPM. I had seen that drive before and almost bought it before I saw it ran at 5900 :tongue:

And, a question for everyone, how long are we looking at for the 7022.11 reliability? Should I be worried for my 7200.11 1.5TB Seagate? I've had it for about nine months now.

nope, I'm pretty sure it's 7200rpm...

and ifargle, if your drive hasn't failed now it most likely is fine. As far as I understand it the problem was firmware related.

and ifargle, if your drive hasn't failed now it most likely is fine. As far as I understand it the problem was firmware related.

Sorry, I was thinking of this Seagate drive.
And that's good. I've heard the drives were just not starting or whatever, not a gradual failure with the firmware updates.

Hmm...guess I need to try and find out what rpm it operates at. I thought I heard all WD Green drives operate at 5200 or 5900 rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom