First Time Build - Need Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdrok

Solid State Member
Hey guys. I'm bout to put down some money on a gaming build but for the life of me i can't decide which rout to go...i already have a thermaltake mid case V9 b/e. with a 650watt antec power supply...o and a LCD 17" monitor....my big problem comes with cpu/mobo/gpu/ram selection...i don't wanna break the bank but i don't know if i should go with quad core or dual core...i don't wanna regret getting a phenom II dual core 550 b/e type setup when for not a lot more money i could get a better set up...like to keep it under 400 for what left i need...you guys are pretty much the best at this stuff

ok, so basicly, you need help selecting a cpu, mobo, gpu, and ram. you said that you already have a case and psu, but youd still need an optical drive and hdd, so are those in the $400 budget too? do you need a keyboard, mouse, OS also?

don't worry about those...already have mouse and the O/S will be a student copy from college...

wow should have stated that...srry im new to this...I'm a mechanical engineer and do CAD all the time...and im a gamer so it will have to handle graphics pretty well...

EDIT: Maybe a good crossfire/sli mobo if its possible to have one and stay under price (will buy second gpu at a later time)

ok, so these could get you started.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

this graphics card will handle your monitor just fine. the mobo is crossfire ready, but i think if you want to take advantage of it, youll have to step up your monitor later on because im assuming it has a rather low res. so you wont see much benefit from two, when one can handle it well.

Thanks for the input muffin that proc fits the bill perfect for me...i did some looking and some "shopping" and think i may upgrade what you gave a bit and i think im gonna go with this...its different but i think it gives me more room to expand in the future...let me know if you think this is wise and if it will all fit together...

Amazon.com: MSI R4850-2D512-OC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail: Electronics

Amazon.com: OCZ OCZ3P1333LVAM4GK DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum AMD Edition Memory Module: Electronics

Amazon.com: MSI 790GX-G65 SocketAM3/140W CPU/AMD 790GX CrossFire/4DDR3-1600(OC)/ATI CrossFireX/Radeon HD 3300/GbE/HDMI/DVI/VGA/R/A/1394/ATX Motherboard: TigerDirect

Amazon.com: AMD Athlon II X4 620 95W AM3 2MB 2600MHz Retail: TigerDirect

this came up to $369 and its a bit more and i will have to get a hard drive and optical too but what you think? Oh and reason im going with amazon is bc i have a 35 dollar gift certif...

if youre looking to "future proof" your system, you can get ddr3 ram if you want, but if youre on a tight budget, ddr2 is still good. you wont see much real world difference between them.

if you want an am3/ddr3 system, these would also be good, and come out a little cheaper @ $379, which also support what you want.
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - OCZ Special Ops Urban Elite 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3SOU16004GK - Desktop Memory

i like that build...will any sata hard drive work with that?

like this Seagate Barracuda ST3160318AS 7200.12 160GB SATA 8MB Cache Bulk/OEM Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom