CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axxion V

Baseband Member
hi. i have a biostar TA790GX AM2+ motherboard and im about to upgrade from a athlon x2 5600+ to a phenom 9950 BE. this is my first time swapping a cpu. my question is, do i need to make bios adjustments before i install the new cpu? currently my 5600+ is overclocked to 3.2 Ghz. so i was thinking to just load optimal defaults, install the new cpu, make sure everything is good, then start overclocking again. is that the proper game plan?

If I were you I would honestly try to get a Phenom II. Or maybe an Athlon II X4 over a 9950. As far as BIOS goes, just clear the CMOS when you install the new CPU, and set everything to what you need to.

It's probably a good idea for you to update to the latest bios first before you swap, since the older bios might not have the support for the newer chip yet.

It's probably a good idea for you to update to the latest bios first before you swap, since the older bios might not have the support for the newer chip yet.
Definitely. I had that same problem when I installed mine. It was a huge hassle. I had installed XP on a machine originally built for Vista, and the BIOS updater didn't work in XP, so I had to wipe my HDD and put Vista on just to upgrade the BIOS. Definitely make sure you update the BIOS first.

Thanks. I updated the bios and installed new cpu. everything went well. one thing im curious about though... my hardware monitor shows the cpu temp idle about 44c. now about every 30 seconds to 1 minute the temp will spike to 92c for only a split second. anyone heard of this before? bios shows 38c so im thinkings it's a misreading for whatever reason.

Also i picked up the 9950 off ebay new for $100 out the door. i really wanted a phenom II 940 but there is a big price difference and i grew impatient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom