High pitched sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Now I want to state up front, I'm a bit weird about a noisy PC. That said, I recently setup a second PC and it is working terrific. The only thing that is driving me crazy is it seems to emit a high pitched sound. I had an old NEC PC years ago that did the same thing and I could not figure out what did it. I thought maybe I was crazy, but I asked someone else and they said they could hear it. It didn't bother them much, but it does me. What types of things can cause this? I disabled the fans in the PC and I still hear it. Is this a PSU issue? I unplugged my shielded PC speakers and moved them away and it still was there. I probably sound like a freak, but for whatever reason the sound seriously irritates me. Luckily I don't need that second PC on all the time........

I have no idea, but plug those fans back in! LOL. I have had some past computers that made various noises, I just shrugged it off. Maybe you should invest in a desk with a computer cubby that might be able to mask the noise.

yer man thats wierd ..,

i have had simalar problems with a tv making a very high pitched noise, very anoying so im getting a drift of what u mean.

but with a computer .. no i havnt, and as ohgrfreak said - a computer desk with a cubby- sounds good to me also.

a computer CRT monitor can make that high pitched noise just like a TV.

my 19" CRT makes that noise when first turned on, but goes away in a few seconds. id suspect though the older a monitor gets, just like a TV the longer and more noticeable the noise will get.

if your just talking about your box, not the monitor. i would guess theres only 2 posibliltys for were its comoing from, the PSU( cause that has big coils and transformers just like the monitor in it) or maybe a HD.

u could start up the PC with all the HD's unpluged and the monitor off, if u still hear it, id suspect its gota be the PSU.

Looks like it's a combo of the hard disk AND PSU. They both create a high pitched sound that when combined is quite irritating. I'm putting in a new PSU to see if it will cut down on the noise. Thanks for the help! =)

I just built a computer that had that same problem. nothing else was wrong, but that.

I traced the sound to the cpu and it's fan. it drove me crazy, but some people couldn't really hear it. I took the processor back to the store, exchanged it and I have no more problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom