What piece of hardware do I need to replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

copelandtml

Baseband Member
My computer shuts down all the time, it won't even complete a virus scan anymore that takes too much effort. It overheats and shuts down, it won't transfer files to an external HD, online videos overheat it. Running a browser along with msn overheats it. Any suggestions would be aprreciated. Its been doing this for a long time and is getting very annoying. Once and a while it will run for a while without overheating but as soon as more then one program get running it shuts off.

Re: What peice of hardware do I need to replace?

How PC Savy are you? Do you know how to replace hardware & so forth?

Few Questions..

1) What is in your computer if known for example, memory, cpu & so forth.
2) How often do you open up the side of your computer & dust?
3) If you havent already, open up the side of the computer & look to see if the fan over your CPU is spinning. If not then thats your problem.

Multi tasking is related to CPU & if your doing basic things, you can get away without a fan spinning, but the second you do more stuff, the CPU works harder & makes more heat & if it gets to hot, it will just turn itself off in a poor attempt to save itself.

Its always important to power off your computer, get a air duster & blow out any visible dust from around your hardware & on the fans themselves. Excessive build up of dust on your fans increase the weight of your fan & over time will cause the mount & bearings to fail due to the excessive weight.

What are your temps. Download HWMonitor and check.

I changed the Cpu fan a little while back because the old one would not start on startup i had to take the side off and manual start it. Eventually it just wouldn't start and it was spinning very slow so I replaced that thinking that was the problem but it continued to shutdown constantly. I did download speedfan and there was one setting remote setting it was called that was very high and it would hit about 100 plus degrees and the computer would shut off. I can't seem to find out what that setting is for though. Should I just bring it in to a repair shop? Is it time for a new one? Or does a certain component need to be replaced?

When you replace the cpu fan, did yo re-paste the heatsink?

What are your specs.. hard to tell you to replace something if you don't tell us what you have.

If it is a stock heatsinl/fan, try removing the fan (not the whole heatsink) and blowing out the heatsink. I worked on a PC once that the owner had blown out, but under the fan was caked solid.

Intel Pentium D 820
2.8 GHz processor
512 MB ram
232 GB harddrive

Intel Pentium D 820
2.8 GHz processor
512 MB ram
232 GB harddrive

Get another stick of 512 memory & your system will run loads better.

But yeah, did you replace the thermal compound with new one? or did it already have some applied to the new fan/heatsink?

Have you checked your graphic's card? That to can produce heat if the fan has failed & can cause the pc to just shut off.

But, the heat must come from somewhere, best bet is to run it until it turns itself off with the side panel off & when it turns off, quickly pop your hand in but dont touch anything & see if you can feel where its mostly hot & that should give a good indication.

Other than that, i can only think of a under powered cpu fan/heatsink.

Sorry what do you mean by heatsink? I replaced the CPU fan its running fine now. When I take off the side nothing seems to be too hot to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom