Hi. new here, considering this PC for games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis1092

Beta member
hey guys, so i saw a good deal for this computer Dell Precision 670 Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz 73GB 4GB FX3400: P670 CFTZY71 DELDHY62_000001 Chrosmack Ventures Store dba: Montana4Me

it's not that sale, but it's pretty much the same specs.

i know that's a workstation PC, but would it be good for games? not any hardcore games but common games like Left 4 Dead (+2), maybe modern warfare 2 in the future or something.
also, could it be upgradeable? for example, if that video card should suck, i could pop a new one in there? or does being a workstation make it different.

thanks in advance guys.

Louis

It would be okay. You'd need a much better video card right off the bat. A Quadro isn't going to cut it. Plus it's only DDR memory which is going to bottle neck you a bit. Honestly if you're willing to build a new PC or spent a little more on a prebuilt you can get a much better PC out of the deal.

cool, thanks. however, due to budget, i think i'll end up getting this one.

I figure i'll sell the vid card inside it (the 3400 or something) and use that money to buy a new budget card as well. would a regular PCIE card work in this computer since it's a workstation?

what exactly is the difference between a workstation and a regular computer

Yes, it has a PCI-E x16 slot. It also has a 650W PSU.

The main difference is that that computer requires registered memory, which is more expensive. Since it already has 5GB, you should be in decent shape in that area.

You will definitely want to add in another hard drive. While the SCSI drive is fast, it is also only 73GB. The mobo has both IDE and SATA connections so you could go either way (SATA would be best).

Your choices of operating systems could be problematic. The system comes with XP Pro 64-bit installed. If you wanted to go with a newer OS you would have to verify that it could handle two CPUs. I believe that both Vista and 7 can do this, but not in the lower end versions, or the 32-bit versions.

You might want to upgrade the video card first and the RAM to optimize it for games. Also, I noticed that the unit's OS is XP. You might also want to upgrade it to Vista at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom