Can I rebuild an OLD sony VAIO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaotikvizion

Baseband Member
My dad gave me his older (1999) sony vaio model PCG-XG28 its so old it has WIN 98SE on it LMFAO anywho he said I can do whatever with it since Im going through school. desktops im learning, a monkey could assemble & POST. can the same thing be said about a laptop? can this laptop be built for today? will it cost alot? the most i would like to do is play WoW with no lag in major cities is that feasible without an ungodly amount of $?

Most likely not. It is hard to find straight up Laptop mobo's out there. Then to get a mobile CPU to go with it. Add into that all the other stuff and it will add up to be more than building a desktop. there are a few topics around about building laptops. check them for sources.

More trouble than it's worth, dude. Sony's stuff is expensive and hard to work with for the most part since it's so hard to find service manuals.

My dad gave me his older (1999) sony vaio model PCG-XG28 its so old it has WIN 98SE on it LMFAO anywho he said I can do whatever with it since Im going through school. desktops im learning, a monkey could assemble & POST. can the same thing be said about a laptop? can this laptop be built for today? will it cost alot? the most i would like to do is play WoW with no lag in major cities is that feasible without an ungodly amount of $?

The theory of CPU, Motherboard, Ram, Hard Drive is all the same with laptop. However with laptops the only parts you are can really purchase that 3rd party are
1. Hard Drive
2. Ram

You might be able to do some thing with the optical drive provided that they fit
You might be able do some thing with the CPU, however you are talking a gamble on whether or not the motherboard will take a larger CPU. And the cost of a laptop CPU is not worth it.

As for getting a 10 year old laptop to run WoW. No. My sister had a 8 year old laptop. The laptop was high end of it's time.
If she's just farming or soloing, it's not too bad. However she can forget about getting into any populated area. Most of the time, she just uses the laptop for Vent or being able to look up notes, faqs and guides while she is playing.

There is a big gap in what WoW has listed for system requirements on the box and what is really required on to actually play. Plus there is Blizzard will be raising the bar again in 2010 when they update every thing with the next expansion.

The theory of CPU, Motherboard, Ram, Hard Drive is all the same with laptop. However with laptops the only parts you are can really purchase that 3rd party are
1. Hard Drive
2. Ram

You might be able to do some thing with the optical drive provided that they fit
You might be able do some thing with the CPU, however you are talking a gamble on whether or not the motherboard will take a larger CPU. And the cost of a laptop CPU is not worth it.

As for getting a 10 year old laptop to run WoW. No. My sister had a 8 year old laptop. The laptop was high end of it's time.
If she's just farming or soloing, it's not too bad. However she can forget about getting into any populated area. Most of the time, she just uses the laptop for Vent or being able to look up notes, faqs and guides while she is playing.

There is a big gap in what WoW has listed for system requirements on the box and what is really required on to actually play. Plus there is Blizzard will be raising the bar again in 2010 when they update every thing with the next expansion.

As far as I know, you can also buy 3rd party CPU and also the screen, but it is really hard to get one, also to change it.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,CPUs / Processors,Processors - Mobile

As far as I know, you can also buy 3rd party CPU and also the screen, but it is really hard to get one, also to change it.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,CPUs / Processors,Processors - Mobile

This might be true. However you are taking a chance on whether or not your CPU will be supported.
1. Heat Issues. The heat sink for a laptop from from the laptop manufacture, not from Intel. The laptop manufacturer might of only made heat sink to support that one CPU.

2. Power Issues. The internal power supply is will only be geared for the the orginal CPU. A larger CPU might require more power

3. Motherboard Chipset Support. It might be the same socket. However will the motherboard chipset support the newer CPU. And there as been enough changes in the last few years to say that even if the CPU did fit, the motherboard chipset might not be support.
In the case of what technology has changed since the Pentium M days to the Current Core2Duo, there has been a lot of changes. I normally have a hard enough time trying to upgrade a 2+ year old deskcomputer which out changing a motherboard. It's more so with a laptop as you can not upgrade motherboards on laptops.

4. Motherboard BIOS Support. Some manufacturers only make the 1 laptop to fit the one CPU. They're might locked the BIOS so that it only takes the one CPU.

5. Finally, my favorite.... the cost of a Laptop CPU. Very expensive. With some of those prices just for the CPU, if you just double your money, you can start looking at purchasing a band new laptop.
Plus there is the other problem that i see. Upgrading a CPU to me is only worthwhile provided that you can get a 30% performance increase. Otherwise, it's not worth the time, money or effort.

This might be true. However you are taking a chance on whether or not your CPU will be supported.
1. Heat Issues. The heat sink for a laptop from from the laptop manufacture, not from Intel. The laptop manufacturer might of only made heat sink to support that one CPU.

2. Power Issues. The internal power supply is will only be geared for the the orginal CPU. A larger CPU might require more power

3. Motherboard Chipset Support. It might be the same socket. However will the motherboard chipset support the newer CPU. And there as been enough changes in the last few years to say that even if the CPU did fit, the motherboard chipset might not be support.
In the case of what technology has changed since the Pentium M days to the Current Core2Duo, there has been a lot of changes. I normally have a hard enough time trying to upgrade a 2+ year old deskcomputer which out changing a motherboard. It's more so with a laptop as you can not upgrade motherboards on laptops.

4. Motherboard BIOS Support. Some manufacturers only make the 1 laptop to fit the one CPU. They're might locked the BIOS so that it only takes the one CPU.

5. Finally, my favorite.... the cost of a Laptop CPU. Very expensive. With some of those prices just for the CPU, if you just double your money, you can start looking at purchasing a band new laptop.
Plus there is the other problem that i see. Upgrading a CPU to me is only worthwhile provided that you can get a 30% performance increase. Otherwise, it's not worth the time, money or effort.

So we both have mistakes :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom