Worklog: Orange55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Iuno, I reckon the rust look you got going on those bolts is pretty sweet :) lol
nice job so far.

Lol, yeah, they got some moisture on them (cool nights now) and so some rust is showing up. Good thing they're getting painted!

So decided that the stock feet suck and I need something better. I have this massive chunk of acrylic not being used for anything, it's got to be a good 1.5 inches high if not higher….so, lets get out the old hole saw and cut us some feet!
Picture383.jpg

And again…so you get the idea :p
Picture389.jpg

Hmmm…but the heat messes these up pretty bad…not that smooth.
Picture399.jpg

Time to sand them with the poor man's lathe…
Picture412.jpg

Bolt or screw through the center and then in the drill press for sanding:
Picture419.jpg

Anyways, is slow going…I'm only part way through the first one and considering this week I'm scheduled to grout the basement it's going to be a while before it gets done. I'll post back when it's nearing conclusion.

Hey nice idea there, our lathe is pretty giant so we usually keep it packed up. Might give that a shot :)

Yeah, I' super tight for space in my garage so a lathe just isn't an option....one day. For now this works ok for many jobs, it's not as accurate or efficient as an actual lathe but for jobs like this it's just fine.

Could water cool it.. run a hose to the bit area... Also run it as slow as possible.

Yeah, is a variable speed press, just play with the belts to drop or up speed. Good old WD40 works better than water for cooling though. Get's messy but works well on keeping down the temps....shouldn't be an issue though for this sanding work, the speed on this drill drops pretty low if I want it to.

It's down pretty slow right now...it sands easier than it looks, the heavy sanding is not because of that gummy stuff, some rough grit takes care of that quickly, its the deep grooves that are left by the hole saw that require the long hours....and those grooves seem to get worse the slower the hole saw is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom