If I was to get a new card today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampD

In Runtime
Would it be better to go for the Geforce GTX 260 core 216 for around $160 or the GTX 275 at most places for $220.

I currently have a 9800 GTX+ 1 gig video mem running on a slight overclocked q6600.

I know the GTX 260 has the better performance/price ratio but I'm a bit worried it's not really a big jump in performance and worth the hassle to go from a 9800 GTX+ to a GTX 260 ( gaming benchmarks show around a 30-35% increase while it's around a 50% increase for the GTX 275 ). Anyone add to like any comments or share any recommendations/experiences? I'm pressure sure my 9800 GTX+ will have problems running Operation flashpoint 2, Modern warefare 2, Bioshock 2, and maybe Starcraft 2, so I'm looking into upgrading either now ( which this thread addresses ) or the future ( if the Geforce 300 series proves to be a huge increase in performance )

PS: I know ATI is offering good deals but I've had some really really awful experiences with their drivers so I'll probably just stick with Nvidia this time around

ATI drives??

I also like Nvidia so I think you should wait for the 300 series to be released. But to be brutally honest, at this moment in time, I would have to go with one of the new ATI cards.

The choice between the 260 and the 275 is a no-brainer. More power is always better, 275 FTW.

Would it be better to go for the Geforce GTX 260 core 216 for around $160 or the GTX 275 at most places for $220.

I currently have a 9800 GTX+ 1 gig video mem running on a slight overclocked q6600.

I know the GTX 260 has the better performance/price ratio but I'm a bit worried it's not really a big jump in performance and worth the hassle to go from a 9800 GTX+ to a GTX 260 ( gaming benchmarks show around a 30-35% increase while it's around a 50% increase for the GTX 275 ). Anyone add to like any comments or share any recommendations/experiences? I'm pressure sure my 9800 GTX+ will have problems running Operation flashpoint 2, Modern warefare 2, Bioshock 2, and maybe Starcraft 2, so I'm looking into upgrading either now ( which this thread addresses ) or the future ( if the Geforce 300 series proves to be a huge increase in performance )

PS: I know ATI is offering good deals but I've had some really really awful experiences with their drivers so I'll probably just stick with Nvidia this time around

It is simply not worth upgrading at this point.

But, just because AMD has had some trouble in the past, doesn't mean you should completely ignore them. But if you are diehard stuck on nVidia, upgrade to a GTX 300 in November and wait for them to cut down prices a bit (I reckon they'll start pretty expensive like they normally do...)

It is simply not worth upgrading at this point.

But, just because AMD has had some trouble in the past, doesn't mean you should completely ignore them. But if you are diehard stuck on nVidia, upgrade to a GTX 300 in November and wait for them to cut down prices a bit (I reckon they'll start pretty expensive like they normally do...)

By saying its not worth upgrading at this point I'm assuming you mean wait until the GTX 300 comes out and see how it goes. Since its going to be premium priced in November how long before you think they will drop the prices?

ha, ha. a 9800GTX not being able to handle COD MW2 :doh: your card will max those gmaes out at 1680x1050. my say is if you absolutely need a card right now then go with the 5850. but if not then wait till november when GT300 comes out. and i would say we are going to see nice price drops on the GT 300 around xmas time :D

ha, ha. a 9800GTX not being able to handle COD MW2 :doh: your card will max those gmaes out at 1680x1050. my say is if you absolutely need a card right now then go with the 5850. but if not then wait till november when GT300 comes out. and i would say we are going to see nice price drops on the GT 300 around xmas time :D

my 9800 gtx + had some problems with cod 5 with frame rate dips to 25 in some maps, so I'm under the assumption that COD 6 will give it problems

my 9800 gtx + had some problems with cod 5 with frame rate dips to 25 in some maps, so I'm under the assumption that COD 6 will give it problems

Wut? What res are you playing at? You should definitely be maxing that game with no problems. You're card is good enough right now that it is not worth upgrading. Wait for the GT 300's and see how it goes. Personally, I am going to be skipping the 300's altogether and the 400's very likely as well. By that time I will probably have SLI though.

I made the leap from a 9800 GTX to a GTX 260 XFX Black Edition......the performance boost was Very Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom