Xeon E55xx Build - Need HSF Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
I'm putting together some options for a dual Xeon E5520/E5506 build but not sure what HSF would work.
The servers will be in a 70C controlled room, noise isn't a huge factor, 24/7 run-time hosting VM's.

The boards will either be
Newegg.ca - SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DTL-iF-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 ATX Dual Intel Xeon 5500 sequence (Nehalem-EP processor) Server Motherboard - Server Motherboards
or
Newegg.ca - TYAN S7002G2NR-LE Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 Tylersburg SSI CEB Dual Intel Xeon 5500 Series Server Motherboard - Server Motherboards

The only HSF on newegg.ca that specifically states compatibility with the E55xx is the Dynatron T667
Newegg.ca - Dynatron T667 60mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Both Newegg and NCIX have multiple LGA1366 HSF but unsure of the reliable ones for a server environment.

Any info would be appreciated.

Its kind of hard to determine which is better than the other. You could trust the reviews or choose the stronger one of the 2 such as higher air-flow. I really wouldnt put too much thought in the fan as either one you get will mostly likely work, impossible to tell which will last longer. If it were me, I'd choose the higher air-flow model. Since servers are generally loud I really would worry about the noise output the fan creates. :cool:

Only problem I see with the SM it's limited to 24gig RAM where the Tyan is 64gig - yes this will be brought up.
Now whether we will spend $8000 (2 systems) on some Super Talent 8gig chips for that 64gig total...hiiighly doubt it. :)
ball-bearing fan: *check mark*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom