Few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yozhik

Solid State Member
I'm just about to start building my computer and there are a few things I'm not sure about. Should I install the graphics card on the motherboard straight away? I read in the manual that you need to disable the graphic chips on the motherboard first for it to work. How would I do that? Also, how do standoffs protect against short circuit if they are metal? One last thing, what the **** is a toroidal choke? do I need it? Cheers!

That's if you have an onboard graphics chip on your motherboard. If not, then you can install the graphic card straight away. If your motherboard does have an onboard graphics chip, then what you do is install the graphic card into it's slot, go into the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics. If there isn't an option to disable that in the BIOS, then you'd have to disable it once you finish installing the OS. Then you would have to get to the device manager in the control panel and disable the onboard graphics there. And then continue to install the graphic card's drivers.

The standoffs are there to separate the motherboard from the case's metal. It is most importantly preventing the solder points from the back of the motherboard from having direct contact with the case, which would have the motherboard malfunction if it did.

A toroidal choke or coil is this:
choke.jpg

Who said you would need it? You would see a few of these on your motherboard by the way. And when building a computer, you do not in any way have to worry about toroidal chokes/coils. Unless you see a motherboard with bad damaged ones, in which you would have to RMA the motherboard.

You can install the graphics card straight away. De default card may still be your onboard. Then you have to connect the monitor to the onboard. Then disable it in BIOS and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom