Motherboards (Present and Future)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGlazer

In Runtime
Something I'm not quite understanding, as I've been patiently waiting to build a new rig; and staying updated with new computer components. The i7 comes out, and uses an X58 Mobo (1366 socket); which uses triple channel memory......... then, half a year later, the i5 and newer i7s come out; and they use a P55 Mobo (1156 socket), which use dual channel memory.......... now here's the confusing part.........

To my knowledge, the newer chips from intel (i9s, and w/e else) will be using the 1366 socket. Triple Channel DDR3 is the future (my friends say)........... so when they released the i7920, 940, etc.; it was great......... but half a year later, release something (1156) that has no potential with future processors, and is limited to Dual Channel DDR3 memory?

This leaves me to my current situation........... Do I save roughly 200$ on a build that's great now, but has no potential in the future?, or do I spend the extra 200$ and get something that is good for the future?

How big of a difference is Dual Channel DDR3 memory compared to Triple Channel DDR3 memory? And feel free to comment on my post, I'd like to hear some opinion, thanx.

It is not a huge benefit to go triple channel.

the 1156 was released to compete with AMD in the mid range cpu market.

They are great but it is up in the air as to what they will have for upgrades in the future.

I would go 1366 but if cash is an issue the 1156 are great cpu's.

good question, What I think the "new" I5 is for is to replace the average every day PC for the non gamer types that were happy with the celeron type computer, If your into the tech end of it and know the difference then I would go the 1366 and be a little more ready for a upgrade. I'm still running a 775 Q9550 and don't have any intention on upgrading any time soon because for the money I would have to spend I don't thing the increase in performance would be worth it for me but I would get the 1366 if I was getting a new system.

Dauntae

It is not a huge benefit to go triple channel.

the 1156 was released to compete with AMD in the mid range cpu market.

good question, What I think the "new" I5 is for is to replace the average every day PC for the non gamer types that were happy with the celeron type computer

From what I've read, the i7860 (1156) is pretty even with the i7920 D0 (1366)........ so it's not exactly mid-range.......... the i5s or i3s will be competing with AMD in mid-range........

So triple channel isn't a big difference over dual channel?

TheGlazer said:
Unless you are doing some kind of super memory-intensive stuff, not really. Sure, having the potential is great, but you will never use it unless you are doing something specifically that will need it.

Besides, by the time you will need to upgrade a current i5 system something new will be out, anyway.

The i3's should be out sometime this year or Q1. To me, Intel is making things too confusing with two sockets and three "named" chip lines. AMD has the Phenom II, the Athlon II, and the Sempron, but they come across as different models of the same line (like Professional, Standard, and Basic).

From what I've read, the i7860 (1156) is pretty even with the i7920 D0 (1366)........ so it's not exactly mid-range.......... the i5s or i3s will be competing with AMD in mid-range........

At stock settings the i7 860 and the i7 920 are about equal. But with the proper hardware and accessories the i7 920 can run head to head with the i7 975, something the i7 860 can't do. That's why it's mid-range, but I will say it's a High-Mid range.

Triple-Channel isn't a big difference over Dual-Channel with the applications presently available.

If dual channel vs triple channel isn't much of a difference, then it's a really tough choice between the 1366 or 1156 build......... if Triple Channel made a significant difference, I would go 1366 100%.........

The key words in my post are "presently available". As new apps are developed to utilized triple channel the difference will grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom