Opinions on gaming system. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushfire

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say that this forum has been very helpful for me. I have recently decided to get a new gaming computer, which I haven't done for about seven years, and reading the forum posts has helped me catch up on today's tech. Though I have learned a great deal since coming here, I would still like your opinion on the build I have below.

But first, some things of what I would expect from this new system:

I would like to do heavy gaming. I would prefer to be able to play the most recent stuff today and maybe the next two years at max settings or near them.

I would like this system to be future proof. I would like to feel comfortable know that down the line, I can simply upgrade the CPU, VGA or add more ram. For example, maybe after two years, simply upgrading the VGA might allow me to play the most graphic intensive game at that particular time at max settings or near that. Perhaps the choice of the mobo now will play a big part later.

I have no experience overclocking, but would like the option of doing a little in the future if possible.

Things I already have: Samsung T260hd monitor (max res 1920 x1200), keyboard, mouse, dvdrw.

Please let me know if my choices below might not be enough or overcompensating in some areas. Or I'm spending too much or too little in any area. I just want to make sure as they say, I'm getting the best bang for the buck. My choices are based on suggestions from this forum and reviews from newegg. As for the budget, I'm not really set on that yet, but I figure $1k would be the average cost. Your response is much appreciated. Thanks. =)

MOBO1: EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (Lifetime warranty only difference?)

MOBO2: EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (Two year warranty I believe)

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 (SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (Maybe better/less expensive ram out there for same performance?)

VGA: Still a bit undecided. Definitely interested in the XFX 5870, but seems hard to find. From the forums, it seems like ATI currently provides the best performance for the money, so I'm leaning more towards ATI. I guess I would like to have sli or xfire as an upgradeable option, but still prefer a single card. Two cards seem to draw more power and a lot of heat. But I haven't read enough, so it's more of my general first impression.

XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (doesn't seem to be widely available)

XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 (maybe this can last me for two years?)

Any other suggestions would be most helpful. There's just so many options out there. I'm not looking to buy a card now for a few months and then sell it just to buy another one.

PS: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

CASE1: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel

CASE2: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel

Looking for case that would provide optimal cooling, spacing for the usual big parts, and easy use and maintenance. Let me know if there are better options.

HS1: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm

There's too many to choose from and a lot of them have good reviews. I doubt I can do water cooling without having the experience. Any good suggestions for heatsinks would be great. I also do not plan to lap the hs.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB

Looking forward to your feedback. =)

Since you plan on using this for a few years I suggest the EVGA E758-A1 mobo.

The OCZ Platinum is an excellent choice, the OCZ Gold is also good but slightly slower.

If you buy a video card now, go for the ATI 5870. Thou it would be wise to wait until Nvidia releases there new cards in case it's spectacular.

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is a poor choice for the i7. This is the best economical heatsink available.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
and you'll need the LGA1366 retention bracket.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket Set - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Both cases are good choices, which ever you think looks sexier. Everything else looks good :D

Is there an official release date for the new Nvidia cards? I've heard dates ranging from next month to Q2 2010.

But chances are I probably won't pick up those cards, simply because they'll be really expensive. I'm expecting at least 600+ for those.

I'm guessing the 4890 probably won't last me two years for my needs? Will the 5870 then?

The 5870 is a pretty powerful card, you could alway add a 2nd one later down the road if you want more power.

Considering that no benchmarks have been released have been released for GT300 I think it's to early to tell how they stack up to ATi's cards.

Also considering that both cards final specs have been released I'd say it's a safe bet to know which card will top the other.

It's like (extreme example) driving your VW around saying it's too early to tell if the upcoming BMW is gonna be able to go faster.

Also considering that both cards final specs have been released I'd say it's a safe bet to know which card will top the other..

So far nvidia hasn't released any info on GT300's clocks which will be a significant factor in it's final performance. We also don't know how nvidia's cards will be priced although given their larger size it's very likely they will be more expensive than the 5870.

Even if GT300 is faster ATi cards could still be a better value like rv770 was compared to GT200.

Is there a reason why places like newegg don't have the 5870 cards in stock? Some sites even ask if you want to preorder them? Are they officially out or just selling out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom