Trouble installing new Hardrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DODGEGIRL

Beta member
My kids have a Dell Dimension 3000 computer that had a WD Caviar SE Enhanced IDE Hard Drive with 160GB'S.One morning after a bad storm when the computer was turned on it just had a black screen and said no drives found.I was told i needed a new hard drive.I am no computer whiz but thought maybe i would try to put a new hard drive in myself.I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 - Hard drive - 250 GB - internal - 3.5" - ATA-100 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 8 MB Seagate 250 GB UDMA/100 IDE Hard Disk Drive .I was told this would work.I just took the old one out and put the new Seagate one in. I thought it was as simple as that.Now when i turn on the computer the screen is black and say's Strike F1 to try reboot and Strike F2 for set up utility.When i try to install XP operating system, it goes as far as Hardware abstraction and then it comes up and say's File\i386\halaacpi.dll could not be loaded.Error code 7. Setup cannot continue.When i go ti Bios the drive configuration say's Primary Master drive.........off.Only other option is N/A Primary Slave Drive.........Off.Other option N/A.Secondary Master drive.........CD-ROM Device SECONDARY Slave drive......ATAPI Device and IDE Drive UDMA........ON. Please Help! Thanks.

Re: Touble installing new Hardrive

It could be a bad motherboard, bad memory, bad optical drive or a bad CD. Does the Windows setup load correctly on another computer from that same CD?

I wonder what this secondary slave drive means. Is it the hard disk or maybe a card reader? Could you open the BIOS page that lists information about the secondary slave?

Never tried the windows set up on another computer.My other is a Vista.If i try loading XP on this does it give the option at the end to cancel because if it works i don't want XP on my Vista.When i click on the secondary slave in bios it gives Model:KL/DW-ST#GCE/8783B# and under this Drive Type-Auto and Capacity N/A.

Yes, you can load setup from the CD and just cancel or reboot at the blue screen where it asks if you want to install windows ("press ENTER to install windows")

The secondary slave is an optical drive. Does your PC have two optical drives? (eg. a DVD-ROM and a burner)

Your motherboard is not detecting the hard disk. Try reconnecting both cables.

Your hard disk has a small jumper like this: http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200504/hddinstall_jump.jpg
Try setting it to MASTER, CABLE SELECT (CS) or SLAVE, to see if any of those work. The instructions for this are written on the hard disk, or with small letters next to the pins.

By the way, you mentioned that your Primary Master and Primary Slave are set to "Off" in your BIOS. Now that I think of this, maybe this should be set to N/A, so it will detect the hard disk.

OK I will try the operating system on my vista to see if it works.Yes my pc has dvd-rom and a burner.This Sea Gate hard drive has less pins for the jumper than the western digital one and is not marked as to where the slave, master or cable select are.I was trying to change the primary master and primary slave to N/A in the bios but it doesn't seem to save it.

I tried loading the XP operating system on my Vista PC. It seemed to open up and work okay but my computer would not let it go beacuse it was an older version than what i have.

Did you look on the label of the hard disk for the pin layout?

The BIOS did not detect the old hard disk, and now it does not detect the new hard disk. It looks like the motherboard is dead after all.

You could try these three options:

-Try connecting the hard disk to the other connector on the big flat cable, then see if it gets detected
-Try connecting the hard disk to the other connection of the same type on your motherboard (where your CD-ROMS are currently connected to). Try this with the cable used by the CD-ROM, including the power cable (4pins).
- Try connecting the CD-ROM to the Primary connection on your motherboard (where the had-disk is currently connected).

This way you can rule out a defective power cable, a defective IDE cable, and determine that only the Primary channel may be defective and the Secondary may be working.

No, any hard disk should get detected by the BIOS. Drivers are only needed for the OS (Windows) to detect a hard disk. But your problem is getting the BIOS to detect the hard disk. Windows (and Windows setup) can not detect a hard disk that has not been detected by the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom