Computer slowing down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoinTimeSublime

Baseband Member
I currently have a store bought HP (sad i kno) but it's a Xp 3200+ with 512Mb of ram and a 160GB HDD. When i first got it about 2 months ago it was Really fast (for ordinary thing) i used to be able to open all my programs really fast but now they take a few seconds. Does anyone kno why this may be happening?

The problem usually is that you have a ton of spyware on your computer. There are two free anti-spyware software you can get. Look for Spybot or Adaware online. Check for updates once you install theme and run them. I use both of those and a program called Spy Sweeper. It is probably the best of my three programs but you have to buy it at a computer store.

i have SpyBot... does it really work? I am wondering because EVERYTIME i run it i get the SAME exact problems. Is there anythign else it coudl be?

yeah, when was the last time you cleaned the HD? like remove all temp files, temp internet files, cookies, then defrag then restart the computer.

I did that like 1/2 hour before i wrote this post. I really have no idea what it could be... i also checked my computer for virus'. Anyone with any other ideas?

the longer you are running on an installation of Windows, the slower it seems to be; Windows tends to take up more and more space, you have more files on your hard drive, and as a result it slows down
some people try to [revent this by putting the OS on its own fast but small drive (like the WD Raptor) but unless you do something like this, the best way to speed it up is to reformat the drive

tricks to speed your computer

1. if you can get customizer xp, get it. I am not sure but I don't think it is free anymore. it does a million things to speed up your computer

2. start, run type msconfig check startup remove all of the check item except your firewall and antivirus and email programs so that you won't have so many things running in the background that are just wasted computer resources

3. go to display properties, change your desktop theme to windows classic, also change in the appearance tab to windows classic. change these 2 thing to classic will free up 60mb of ram alone. you use any old picture as desktop wallpaper

4. install zone alarm. turn on cache cleaner to make it clean your temporary internet files every 2 week. it will delete spyware like files that the xp clean up disc can't

5. get evidence eliminator to disable all of windows xp tracking services of you. half of xp resources is use to track everything that you are doing.

6. don't use IE

7. don't download free music. if you must download from filesharing programs, get you a dummy computer that you don't care if it get a virus or spyware

8. last if you do a reformat, use the xp cd to break it into 2 partitiions. make one 30 gig for your operating system, the other 130 gig for your data. you can move my document to the 2nd partition. you can also move your paging file there too. that speed up disc perfomance plus if you have to reformat, you won't lose your data. download all new things to the first drive and after a few weeks and you are sure they contain no virus or trojan horses, move them to the 2nd drive

for number 5... Why does XP track everything your doing? Thanks for all the help man.
Cause the man is out to keep tabs on you! If you know where to download from you can get movies/games/music without ever getting a trojan or virus muchless spyware. It's sh!t like KaZaa that destroys your computer. AOL is also a virus basically. I hope you don't have that on your computer because AOL takes over your computer and puts it crap everywhere. Here's a good pest scan site. The scan is free, but you can't remove the pests via the program. You have to go manually delete them. But it'll show you stuff spybot and ad-aware usually can't find.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/promotions/pestscan/pestscan_01165.jsp

DoinTimeSublime said:
for number 5... Why does XP track everything your doing? Thanks for all the help man.

he right on the man is out to get you.

supposely the tracking is for people doing illegal activity, but they use it for everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom