I hope you all can help

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKK_EvilElmo

Beta member
I have a Gateway GT5464 desktop computer. Ever since i had the thing when you first start it up it would come to where it says gateway and then it would go black on the monitor screen the monitor would go to off and then 15 seconds it would show windows loading. I have had the computer for about a year and a half now. It was made in may 07 but i bought it new. 45 days after i got it the mother board went in it and i had to send it to gateway. They said that it taken a little while for it to start up was normal. Last night it took me an hour to get the computer to come on.

What happened is i would hit the power button the 2 fans on the mother board would start up. The power supply fan would run and then you would hear 5 clicks from the harddrive and then all you could hear was the fans. The monitor never even tried to turn on saying it had connection to the computer. Finaly after i took the power supply out cleaned it pluged it in i tried starting it up nothing. Then i swaped the ram around nothing. I then swaped the ram back and hit the power button and the pc turned on. I got it into windows then shut it off. Let it sit for a second then turned it back on boom it booted. Did it again boom it booted. Left it on all last night then turned it off for about an hour today and it wouldnt boot up again.

Im thinking its the power supply but gateway told me it was either the ram or the harddrive. I want some opionions. Heres the site to everything the pc has.
Gateway Support - Specifications

thanks for the help
donald

Re: I HOPE YOU ALL CAN HELP

Run MemTest86+ to test the RAM.

Memtest86 - Download Page

Download the ISO and use ImgBurn to burn the ISO as is.

Burning ISO Images with ImgBurn - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

If it was the hard drive you would hear more than 5 clicks from it. It shouldnt take more than 3 minutes at most to boot. So it could be the PSU. I would look at getting at least a 400W or 450W PSU for the PC. 300W seems a bit low.

Run MemTest86+ to test the RAM.

Memtest86 - Download Page

Download the ISO and use ImgBurn to burn the ISO as is.

Burning ISO Images with ImgBurn - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

If it was the hard drive you would hear more than 5 clicks from it. It shouldnt take more than 3 minutes at most to boot. So it could be the PSU. I would look at getting at least a 400W or 450W PSU for the PC. 300W seems a bit low.

Thanks im gonna proble pick up a power supply just to have was looken at a 400w pretty much i don't use the computer for nothen special so thats why its not fully upgraded. I really think its the power supply though cause the fans come on yes but you cant even get it to go to the gateway screen because it wont even power up the monitor

I would replace the PSU, RAM, graphics card, in that order.

300w should be fine. (it came with 300w). But it doesn't hurt to buy a little higher (doesn't cost nothing).

replaced the ram and then the power supply. Power comes on harddrive wont turn over and monitor wont even turn blue for 1 second even at first start up. Think mother board is gone for the second time so time i built my own. Thank you all though. Got a mother board comen and a new harddrive just incase. I should have built my own the first time but sent it in because it was under warrenty. What can i say won't ever buy a gateway again :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom