new build-- compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
SLI? As in you are going to buy two? You can do much better with a single, more powerful card.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-585A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (currently out of stock)

Newegg.com - XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Raptors are not worth the money, actually. A SSD would cost too much, but you could grab a couple of WD Black drives, like these (close to the same speed, but cheaper and a lot more room):
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

If you want to stay Intel:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - ASRock P55 Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Or go AMD:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA790GXB A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Corsair is the best PSU going:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

I may have to take you up on the wd black drives, they are a lot cheaper.i have a 74gb 10000 raptor anyways so i can just put certain files (like windows) on that.Im pretty set on every other component ive chosen though. Can you see any incompatibilities among them? Thanks for responding.

The Apevia power supply is a very poor choice.
It's like getting heart surgury and opting for used heart valves.

The power supply is the heart of a PC, it supplies the power to every component. If you want to save money, save it on something else.

well im pretty much set on them because I already have the case,power supply, ram, dvdrom. I am set on everything else because they come from brands I have trusted in the past and that have great ratings on newegg. Apevia even has great ratings and it was a great combo deal with the case. The 9800s in sli have a greater fps than a single 285 in all the games i play. How come i will need 4 6 pin connectors? On newegg it says the geforce card requires "6pin" not "2 X 6 pin". Did newegg make a mistake? Also, the power supply says sli enabled , i would think it would provide enough connectors for sli. Thanks for your help everyone

If you'll look at the images of the card you'll see it has (2) 6pin connectors on it.
4890t.jpg

The power supply says SLI enabled, but it doesn't say for what cards. And you'll be using Crossfire, not SLI, and ATI cards are not "G-Force". G-Force is Nvidia.

ohh, i think you read trotters post by mistake and not mine. Mine says Sli geforce 9800 gtx+

Heres a pic
6egks7.jpg

Do you see any other incompatibilities?

Thanks again for your help guys!

hah thanks for all your help. It looks like my motherboard doesnt support sli! After reviewing benchmarks, I think im going to take Trotters advice and get 1 gpu. I think im going to get Geforce 275, it only gets about 10 less fps than 2 geforce 9800s. It takes 2 X 6 pin so i should be set if i only get 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom