almost ready to buy parts for i7 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartek123

Solid State Member
I ordered an i7 920 cpu a few days ago, now waiting for it to come.
I'm using newegg to get my parts and i need all hardware and an OS.
These are the parts i'm looking to get and i need opinions/ suggestions for combo deals or better performance/price options.

mobo/memory combo: Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

case: Newegg.ca - XCLIO A380PLUS-BK Fully Black 1.0mm SECC/ ABS ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
maybe combo deal with vista ultimate until windows 7 comes out.

HDD: Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - Internal Hard Drives

PSU: Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
would the PSU i chose be strong enough for future sli/ overclocking?

video card: not sure which one yet thinking about a decent 260gtx/hd4870 to wait until next gen graphics. i would be using a 42" tv as my monitor with moderately high resolution.(need suggestions)

other accessories i have (keyboard/mouse/speakers) i would just need a cd/dvd drive and i think thats all. the main goals for this computer would be gaming while trying to future proof it.

any input would be great
thanks

Looks great. PSU has plenty of power.

I agree that a 260 or 4870 would be a good choice for now and wait a while for next gen cards.

Is your tv 1080p?

I always prefer xfx or evga cards.

the 4870 will give you more power for your money.

the 260 will have a little better driver support.

Some of the next gen cards are already available.

Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

It's more expensive than the GTX 260 but it's also considerably faster, supports Dx11, and includes a copy of Dirt 2

If the HD 5870 is more than you want to pay the HD 5850 is another great option however it is currently out of stock.

Newegg.ca - Computer Hardware,Video Cards & Video Devices,Desktop Graphics / Video Cards,Radeon HD 5000 series,Radeon HD 5850

based on the components im getting, will it be reasonable to OC to about 3.8ghz?
will i need a different memory kit?
and if so will i need upgraded cooling solutions?
thanks again for the help everyone

for 3.8 you will need an aftermarket heatsink.

I would look at the sunbeam core contact 120 or the dark night.

Memory will be fine.

Newegg.ca - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks are you talking about this one?
and is there a significant difference between the dark knight and this one, because i noticed it has a 15$ mir which would make it like 20 bucks, also reading the reviews many people were complaining about how difficult it was to install
and for the sunbeam i would need to get a lga1366 retention bracket correct?
sorry about the noob questions, this will be my first build :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom