Creating a cable for a sign. Need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohnson8778

Solid State Member
I acquired a light up sign from a display the other day. The only wire coming out the back is a 2 pin female cable. Ill post a pic it sorta looks like a motherboard cable. I would like to be able to splice this some how with a usb cable and hook it up to my PS3 so when i turn on the ps3 it will light up. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

I do not know the voltage. But worst case scenario i would fry the sign rather than a usb port on my ps3? I just wanna do it right and not mess up my ps3

From the back, can you see the LED's, circuit board or any resistors? If not, can you open it up? It most likely has a 12v input with a single 330-470 ohm resistor for each LED. The resistor's and led's may or may not be mounted to a circuit board. I would try the 12v and see if it works, if not it's easy to fix with a soldering iron. You can buy new led's and resistors here if you mess something up. They also have a forum, look for Lokie or Twizted, tell them Slaymate sent ya :D

DragonModz Shop

something that I was actually thinking of, but did a little looking into, and dont know how well it would work, or if it can be done.

But from working on cars, I have a little knowledge of relays. I wonder if its possible to make a USB relay? in otherwords, when you turn the ps3 on, it supplies power to the usb ports, have that power (5v) activate a switch that will allow power from a voltage source light the sign up (be it 5v, 6v, 12v, 120v, lol)

but I dont know if they make a dpst relay that keeps each side isolated (so we dont have one common ground, and 12v flowing to the ground of the ps3)

Unfortunantly though, doesnt the PS3 supply power to the USB ports even when its off? I know my WDTV media player does as i charge things off it when its not on.

i plugged my iphone into the usb and it did not charge it while it was off, so it staying on while the ps3 is off shouldnt be a problem. Ill open the back up tom and post pics, got business law test i need to study for tom :( thanks for all the help so far

looks like a led bar to me (no suprises here)

are there any markings on the PCB anywhere near where the wires connect? you would be looking for like 5v or 5+ or 5 or any number really that could corrolate to any voltage. (and help us determine which side of the array is positive, dont want to run 12v the wrong way on a led, it goes POP lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom