About ddr2 Dual channel..

Status
Not open for further replies.

VsUK81

Baseband Member
I need a little help :p im a little stuck on getting my ddr2 to go duel channel. I'm not a novice but i only know what I've done myself basically self taught.

Ok, i have a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 790X Socket AM2+ board, details of which you can get hereGIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-MA790X-DS4 (rev. 1.x)

Ok, i have Kingston 2GB KIT (2X1GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 CL5 Non Ecc 1.8V & a 1gig stick of crucial 667MHz memory of same stats.

Now, i have the 2 kingston in, 1 in the yellow & 1 in the blue ddr2 slot & then the other stick in the the blue. When i boot up, it constantly states single channel ddr2 & not duel. Is the additional stick messing it up or can you only have 1gig on each side or 2gig for the duel channel to work?

Its just something i never bothered to look into & noticed people going on about duel channel & noticed mine wasnt setup for duel channel.

Re: About ddr2 Duel channel..

You want the Kingston to be in matching-colour slots.
Other than that, it will be saying that it's not in dual-channel because the Crucial doesn't have another stick to be in dual-channel with, i.e. if you put another stick to fill the final slot then all the RAM will then be in dual-channel.

Re: About ddr2 Duel channel..

but shouldnt the memory be in the opposite slots for duel channel? like 2 yellow & 2 blue so 1 should be in yellow & other in blue ye? as thats what it says on various websites i googled :p But ye about the crucial memory, might stick in another stick even though its only a 32bit system but should enable the duel channel..

According to the manual, dual channel is enabled when you have 2 sticks filling up the yellow slots, or two sticks filling up the red slots.

You have three sticks, so that won't work. Dual channel works by pairs. So you'd need a 4th stick of the same spec, and then dual channel will be enabled in all slots.

ok cool, so which would be faster, 2 1gig sticks duel channel or 3gig single?

You have to ask yourself, if you really need that extra gig. Do you use up most of your 2GB often? If so, then quantity > speed.

But most of the time, I would choose 2 gigs on dual channel over 3 without, because I barely use up 2GB. I would just keep the extra gig as a backup, in case of a memory failure.

Oh yea, and to answer your question, 2x1GB on dual is faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom