uninstallable or uninstalled but won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
I frequently have programs or games that either won't install or once I have uninstalled the program, the name is still stated in the add/remove programs list.

I sometimes delete the corresponding folder in the program files to uninstall the programs that won't uninstall, then when I go back into the add/remove programs, I ask to change or remove and it states that the program is no longer on the computer and asks to delete the icon/name in the list.

My problem right now, is that I system restored to a point in time that had a few games installed that I don't have now. The games of course didn't reinstall themselves, the icons and names just reappeared in the add/remove list, instead of getting an option to delete the name like usuall, uninstall shield actually starts and then fails. I have tried to reinstall the game, but the disc thinks the game is still installed and therefore blanks out the install field. I was hopefully thinking that if I install the game again, and do a full uninstall, that would get rid of the icon/name in the add/remove list.

I am thinking this may be a registry problem, because there are no files I can find that belong to the corresponding games (Doom3 and Colin McRae rally). But, my regcleaner has been (regsupreme pro) a trial and I cannot use it anymore.

So, how can I either get rid of the games that are on the add/remove list, or if it is a registry problem, what is the best free regcleaner you have tried?

Thanks,
Matthew

The way you have to remove all programs is through add and remove programs in order for it to remove them hyou can try to reinstall and then uninstall the right way and see if that works

ohGrFreak said:
I have tried to reinstall the game, but the disc thinks the game is still installed and therefore blanks out the install field. I was hopefully thinking that if I install the game again, and do a full uninstall, that would get rid of the icon/name in the add/remove list.
Read above. Reinstalling not an option.

Oh ok sorry about that
When youÂ’re ready, go to the Run.. function (FLAG + R if you like), key in REGEDIT and enter. In the left pane, navigate through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then subfolders Software (but not SOFTWARE, which is a different subfolder), Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, then Uninstall. This final subfolder has entries which appear in the software list in the Control Panel add/remove applet. Each is a long name made up of letters and numbers like {924D8117-FCB5-4CCA-914E-2661B448EC96}, which doesnÂ’t seem to make much sense. Click on each in turn to see its key fields listed in the right hand pane. Glance through them to find DisplayName, along with the name that appears in the add/remove applet. When you have found one of your troublesome programs that resists final deletion, use CTRL + click to highlight both the DisplayName and UninstallString keys.

There may in fact be other fragments of a program deleted this way, including leftover references in the Registry, but you will have successfully removed it from the official list of programs on your system.

I thought so, I had the regedit all open with the two keys highlighted and everything. LOL. I started broswing tech forums again and found a link to regcleaner, heh.

I didn't need to reinstall to complete the uninstall, I just used regclean. If you are asking if I am able to reinstall after I fixed the problem, well, I haven't tried, they were uninstalled for a reason. :)

I assume I can reinstall now, but there is no need, my current games are good till I get in the Doom3 mood again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom