Cheap Gaming Computer Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrman

Solid State Member
Hello
I am looking to build my first Gaming PC (Budget around $700) and was looking around for the best parts and information and stumbled on this site, and in particular this article

Cheap Gaming Computer Build, September 2009 | How to Build a Gaming Computer

It says that a decent Gaming Computer for <$650 is possible
I wanted some opinions on whether this is possible since I was thinking about using this build
Here is a list of the parts:
Processor - AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard - ASRock M3A785GMH/128M Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM - A-DATA G Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory
Video Card - POWERCOLOR Radeon HD 4870 AX4870 1GBD5 Video Card
Storage - Seagate SV35.3 1TB Internal Hard Drive
Optical Drives - LITE-ON 22X DVD±R DVD Burner and the LITE-ON 4X Blu-ray Reader
Computer Case - Broadway Com Corp 939PL-BLACK Computer Case
Total Estimated Price: $627.93

Is this a good build? Isn't it missing a few parts (Sound Card, SD card reader) ?

Also I wanted to See what needs to change in the build if I instead used a quad processor like
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX (ONLY ABOUT $80 MORE THAN THE DUO)

Sorry for the long post but since this is my first PC Build I have a lot of questions
Thanks for Reading the Whole Question

Vrman

You don't need to follow that guide to the letter. Go to newegg.com and pick out the parts that you like (with price in mind). You can get a lower-clocked quad core processor for not much more than the dual core. The 3.2ghz proc that you picked out is nice, but $80 is a lot if your whole budget is 700. Don't forget that you'll also need a power supply; the power supply provided in that guide (in the case) isn't very good. Newegg has an egg-rating system that may help you out in picking out your parts.

a sound card and card reader arent necessary for a computer, those would just be extras on your part. the mobo has onboard sound already, and the card readers up to you i guess.

either way, i would go with Trotters build instead. one thing though, if you really dont need a blu-ray drive, i would drop it and either save the money, or put that money towards something else.

Thanks a lot for the informative replies guys
I really liked trotter's build but i am reluctant to get an ATHLON Processor, especially as i want to eventually upgrade this build. That is why I am looking at that Phenom II quad processor.

Can I substitute the Athlon for the Phenom and still have a compatible/efficient build? will trotter's motherboard also work for the Phenom?

The Althon x4 is a quad core for $99... A phenom II can only get you a dual core for $102. It'd be much better I think to have a quad then a dual, even if it is clocked slightly lower. The original phenoms aren't all that good, so If you have room to spend a bit more I'd recommend this one Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops
The phenom II 940; super fast, runs everything like a charm. Never had anything slow down on me with it. Also overclocks pretty nice if you want to do that, have mine at 3.6ghz relatively stable >.<.

Edit: Also the althon and phenom's both fit into the same socket, so they don't effect upgrading. Look for a am2, am2+, am3 board since am3 is AMD's newest socket type.

AMD decided to re-use the Athlon name for the mid-range Phenom line. The Athon II X4 620 is basically a 2.6MHz Phenom II X4 without the L3 cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom