Surge Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, zedman. I pointed out that surge protectors protect against surges, not necessarily a lighning strike.

Here to be blunt.

Your right a surge protector will not protect against a lightning strike. But what are the odds that lightning will strike a HOUSE? The odds are already amazingly low to strike a person, let alone a house.

So, again to be blunt, but who cares? OHHH NOES a company is lying about it product!!!!oneone11!!!

That would never happen! Yeah just watch TV for more than 30 minutes and tell me how many ads tell the truth.

So what if a "surge protector" doesnt protect against a Act of God. That is why they are called that cause there is NO PROTECTION KNOWN TO MAN. So if a person wants to plug in a Surge Protector to give themselves a piece of mind that their stuff is protected from the high and low voltages that occur on a normal household powerline, good for them. I use several myself.

But to be even more blunt, it doesnt matter if you have a proper protector or not. It doesnt matter anything at all about what you plug into the wall, if your house isnt wired properly. So really who cares about what you use at the very end of the line? Is it going to make a bit of difference in the grand scheme of things? NO.

Talking about the ratings of protectors from a lightning strike which in itself is astronomical odds of happening isnt going to do anyone any good. You could have the best protector known to man plugged in, if your house is not wired properly it aint going to make a bit of difference.

You know, its really hard to state facts around here. But what do I know as an electrician ? lol Simply put, OF COURSE lightning is improbable, not impossible ! So whatever....

While not impossible, the fact is that you are more likely to get struck by lightning in person than have your house get struck.

On average there is 67 people that get struck a year. Much higher than Tornado or hurricanes. Now add into that the fact that very few houses now have any sort of metal to attract lightning during a storm. The last time i even seen a metal TV Antenna on a house was when i was a kid. that was almost 30 years ago.

The fact is that the odds of lightning hitting your house are greater than the odds of someone here winning the lottery. Yes while probable, the fact is that if it did happen, no matter what you had, be it a surge protector or UPS or anything, no one would be protected.

It isnt hard to state facts. But if your going to go all out about something, at least make it a common occurance. Not something that you need almost perfect lab conditions to reproduce.

Yeah, this thread literally has no purpose anymore except to degrade into a flame war. Not happening.

closed2ur0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom