$1000 - go to town

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct that the platinum have better timings. They should overclock better than the golds. If that is not your game then save the money.

Looking at prices that OCZ is a pretty good deal.

A modular psu allows you do only connect the power cables you need

A non modular has all of the cable already connected.

Modulars are great for wire management but do have one more connection that could go bad. Given the price I would stick with the one you chose.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to stick with the one I picked as I'd like to keep things pretty organized.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd like a card with component out which I believe the GTX 260s have.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to stick with the one I picked as I'd like to keep things pretty organized.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd like a card with component out which I believe the GTX 260s have.

Yeah i guess save yourself the money and go with the golds, it probably makes no real world difference, might shave a single second off render times... And stay with the GTX260, like i said you might benefit from CUDA.

And single platter just means that inside the harddrive there is one metal disc that contains your data, meaning its usually a bit faster. Multiple platters means you have 2,3,4 metal discs inside... I wouldnt just base a hdd choice off whether its single platter, but i own a seagate .12 500gb and its great.

Yeah i guess save yourself the money and go with the golds, it probably makes no real world difference, might shave a single second off render times... And stay with the GTX260, like i said you might benefit from CUDA.
What is CUDA? Is it basically meant to take load off the processor and instead let the GPU do the computational work?

And single platter just means that inside the harddrive there is one metal disc that contains your data, meaning its usually a bit faster. Multiple platters means you have 2,3,4 metal discs inside... I wouldnt just base a hdd choice off whether its single platter, but i own a seagate .12 500gb and its great.
Oh OK, thanks for the clarification.

I'll stick with that 7200.12 500gb Seagate then.

I see they offer a 16MB cache version and a 32MB cache version at a significantly higher price.

Thanks for the help so far everyone. I really appreciate it. This is currently what my shopping cart looks like. I'll be ordering later toady, and I'll most certainly post back with how everything went. Expect pictures. ;)

CPU
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

Motherboard
ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

RAM
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

Video Card
EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Power Supply
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ... - Retail

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Mouse
Logitech Performance Black Tilt Wheel USB 2.4 GHz Wireless Laser Mouse MX - Retail

Case
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

The last thing I need is a budget aftermarket CPU cooler. Any recommendations?

Sweet deal, definitely picking that up. I assume it will fit? I remember having an issue with the Thermalright XP-90 and my Silverstone Temjin 06 case. It just...well, wouldn't fit in the case. :confused:

you can pick up that card and cpu in a combo, save a little.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

you could also take a look at this psu combo with the antec case, its also modular, and has plenty of power. will also save you some money.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Thanks for pointing out the combo, had them added separately before.

Regarding the PSU, the OCZ I picked actually comes to $70 after mail-in rebate, which seems like a bit of a steal.

Good looks looking into all these deals. Newegg has so many sales/combos/rebates that throwing them all together in one cart seems overwhelming. :D

Sweet deal, definitely picking that up. I assume it will fit? I remember having an issue with the Thermalright XP-90 and my Silverstone Temjin 06 case. It just...well, wouldn't fit in the case. :confused:

It will fit. It is a Big cooler and a little awkward, but all the good coolers are nowadays :D

I just ordered all of the parts from Newegg, should all be here by Tuesday. I'll definitely post back with how things went, of course expect some pictures!

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

I'm not sure if the Core contact has the same problem with the retention bracket as it does with some motherboards. But it will take an extreme amount of force to push the little brackets into the tabs, least it did with me. If it does don't bother trying to get them in, just grab a pair of needle nose pliers. Then slide them over (parallel, 1 arm on each side) of the bracket and flatten it down a bit. It makes a world of difference, brought my temps down by 2c and I wasn't scared putting it on and off anymore.

Other then that the core contact is an amazing cooler, got an Ultra Kaze tie wrapped onto mine and I never top 45c with my phenom II 940 at 3.5ghz.

I received everything today but the case which is scheduled to arrive on Thursday. Of course I was rather impatient and decided to put everything together anyway, case or no case.

IMG_2115.jpg

I'm installing Vista x64 right now.

So far everything seems to be running fairly well. Initially there were a bunch of dots displayed across the monitor (could still read the bios and everything), and the text came out pretty funky (accents/symbols on each letter) albeit I think it's because the GPU was not sitting quite right since it's only supported by the motherboard slot. I pushed it down hard, and the issue was resolved. I assume that once everything is sitting snug in a case, everything should be fine.

IMG_2117.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom