GX/GXE/GXB/GX XE... which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
What is the difference between motherboard names with GX, GXE, GXB, GX XE, etc. ?

I have been searching online for the answer, but I just can't seem to find it. I'm trying to find an AMD motherboard to support my current AM2+ cpu and support/upgrade my future AM3 cpu overclocks. Also, any brand names I should look for? currently looking at Biostar, Gigabyte, and ASUS mainly because those are the ones I've noticed in peoples sig's haha.

From information I've gathered from others here, i should be looking for 780 or 790 chipset with 710 or 750 southbridge. I'm not looking for the absolute best on the market, but for something that will not need replacing anytime soon and adequate overclocking performance. Also integrated graphics would probably be best bet for me now. I'm not a high end gamer, but I like to play Oblivion once and a while, and the integrated GeForce 6150 i'm running right now is fine for that. can always get a card later :)

I know i've been posting lots of questions about upgrading my computer, and I haven't done any of it yet, but I am working on saving the money up, and in the meantime I figure the more I know, the better decision I can make. Also the more I know, the more expensive my taste seems to get, but thats to be expected i guess.

Yea, I was thinkin bout the TFORCE 790GX 128. Was probably the board I was leaning towards most. But thats listed as AM3/AM3+ so it wouldn't take my Phenom 9150e (AM2+) would it? I don't think i'll have the money for a good CPU anytime soon as I need to get a PSU, MOBO, and RAM first, and I have about $5-$10 a week to put towards upgrades. Well the ram could probably wait, but I would like fast Dual Channel, I think i'm currently running PC2 6400.

Oh yea, and the "128m" part of that biostar board's name is referring to the 128mb sideport memory (which the gigabyte listed by b1gapl also has) correct?

The Biostar does support AM2+. It says so on that link that hikari posted. I checked their site though, and they do support Phenoms, but for some reason your particular processor does not show.

And yes, the Gigabyte does support that sideport memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom