XP sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vstk

Solid State Member
I am new here but i bet there has been talk of sp2 before. I am working on a friends Dell Laptop. It is an inspiron 2500, celeron 700 with 256 mg of ram. When i install sp2 all goed well until its first reboot. Then the boot screen comes up, the first XP screen and then when the desk top should appear.....all is blank. I believe that windows completes the load, i just cant see it. I get a system start tone and everything else acts normal, just no display. i uninstallled sp2 and back to normal.........any ideas on how to get a good install of the service pack???????? VSTK

boot to safe mode and restore back to before sp2....some people have had a lot of probs with sp2, others haven't. Thank god I have win2k, mature and stable.

You wont be able to restore after you install sp2, sp2 removes all repair points you will have to uninstall sp2

I'd say is probably something to do with the video card drivers, Microsoft has a list of programs and other things that will not work under SP2, might wanna check that out.

I havent had enough time to spend with it..maybe tomorrow. But i started getting add new hardware wizard and it wants drivers for "intel AIM external flat panel driver 5". I know this is related but will have to wait until i have more time.

mre30 said:
You wont be able to restore after you install sp2, sp2 removes all repair points you will have to uninstall sp2

mmh on my 1st install of sp2 with my old hardware and softwares i had troubles,I couldnt even browse in windows,so i rebooted with F8,chosen 'last known configuration',which was a repair point ive made before and all was working fine after this.Not sure it erases them,at least it didnt for me .Ive reeinstalled sp2 today and made a repair point.Ive just looked and its on the list.

WELL..........what a mess. i installed every updated driver available, researched every place i could find, and could find no explination for loosing my display. (got updates from intel site for graphics and mother board chip set) I could always go into safe mode and uninstall sp2 and thing would work.......almost. it seemed like after every uninstall of sp2 something else would go with it...maybe sound........maybe network card drivers........seemed to be random.

I may have found a solution. Might be a good fix for other sp2 problems as well. i slip streamed his install disc with sp2 and installed that...........so far so good. just took about half a dozen botched tries at the slip streamed install disc.........had trouble with the boot portion, still not sure what i did different that made it work. i am betting it will save at least an hr of tmie during an install though and was worth the trouble.

vstk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom