World Community Grid ~ helllooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
While in theory it sounds good, the fact is that he has much different standards than us. Folding on a single home machine is not that difficult to setup. For him he flat out said that he had 16 Quad CPU's to manage. So yeah maybe WGC is much easier to manage for him. But honestly, F@H is not that difficult to setup.

Install, click the executable file and put in name and team. Not really that hard for a home user to do. As Folding has measures in place to make sure that it is not installed on machines that a person does not own or have rights to run it on.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f109/back-folding-216045/#post1713899

As relevant by that post and on the topic of conversation. But frankly this doesnt answer any questions i brought up.

How is this different than F@H?
Is it better for a Intel or AMD? Since Intel has the Math processor and from what i read, this is about crunching numbers which AMD does not do as well. So in theory this would be worse to do on a AMD system.

Yeah i know about BIONIC, and honestly i dont find it any better than F@H. For F@H all we know is that we fold proteins, we do not know what these proteins are for and we do not know what they are used for. So while WGC claims that you can help cure AIDS, the same can be said from F@H cause there is no set answer for what folding the proteins do. We just know they go to curing disease or cancer or whatever. So we can say that we are helping just as much as using the BIONIC Client.

I will try it out for a bit. Just to see if i can spot the difference and answer these questions myself.

I have moved my CPU to this already. The first Projects i downloaded is going to take just about 7 hours to finish. I did not remove any items from the WGC selection screen at sign up. So i have all 8 projects working. So it does seem to be a bit faster than some of the CPU F@H WU. As those take much more time, at least on my CPU. Downloaded a WU just over 4 hours ago and am only 46% complete. I am going to complete this project then finish the WU. Then i will jump back on WGC.

First off, hello to all of you. My first post here.

As Drizz posted, you can run F@H on a GPU and WCG on your CPU. They play very nice together. Why do this? F@H is very efficient using all of your GPU and running BOINC for WCG makes efficient use of your CPU.

I run F@H and WCG together on some machines. I also run a combination of WCG and GPUGrid on other machines. All of these rigs are well behaved if you want to use them for other tasks. I even game on my main rig while folding and crunching.

It's up to you if you want to try it out. The main point is that you run something rather than let a rig sit idle. No doubt this isn't for everyone, but for me personally, I look at it as a hobby and a way to possibly contribute something to make the world better.

As to Intel or AMD, we have folks that crunch both. They both work pretty well. The Intel offering usually has greater initial cost, but they do produce a bit better. The AMD Phenoms are no slackers though. The up-front cost is very good. Your preferences, based on considerations other than WCG or F@H, should guide you here. What else do you want the rig to do?

As to what is WCG, it is a collection of different projects, different sciences all in one place. Here is the description of just one cancer project, taken from the site here.

"Help Conquer Cancer

Project Status and Findings:
Information about this project is provided on the web pages below and by the project scientists on the Help Conquer Cancer website. For the latest status report, please go to the Help Conquer Cancer status report. To comment or ask questions about this project, please submit a post in the Help Conquer Cancer forum.

Mission
The mission of Help Conquer Cancer is to improve the results of protein X-ray crystallography, which helps researchers not only annotate unknown parts of the human proteome, but importantly improves their understanding of cancer initiation, progression and treatment.

Significance
In order to significantly impact the understanding of cancer and its treatment, novel therapeutic approaches capable of targeting metastatic disease (or cancers spreading to other parts of the body) must not only be discovered, but also diagnostic markers (or indicators of the disease), which can detect early stage disease, must be identified.

Researchers have been able to make important discoveries when studying multiple human cancers, even when they have limited or no information at all about the involved proteins. However, to better understand and treat cancer, it is important for scientists to discover novel proteins involved in cancer, and their structure and function.

Scientists are especially interested in proteins that may have a functional relationship with cancer. These are proteins that are either over-expressed or repressed in cancers, or proteins that have been modified or mutated in ways that result in structural changes to them.

Improving X-ray crystallography will enable researchers to determine the structure of many cancer-related proteins faster. This will lead to improving our understanding of the function of these proteins and enable potential pharmaceutical interventions to treat this deadly disease."

Do I pretend to know the significance and detail of some of these projects? Heck no. I don't let that stop me from jumping in them though. Is it the same science as F@H? It doesn't appear so.

In any case, if you do get an active WCG team that would be a good thing. It's good to see you have a folding team. I fold for XS and the TR team. I crunch for them too.

My best to all of you,
Bob

Thanks bob.

One thing I would like to note... I use WCG for testing stability of my q6600 sometimes because you can view the results and see any errors on the WCG page while logged into your account.

And I am glad to see some interest and I can see that Mak signed up. It takes a little bit for points to start appearing so just let it run and be patient (I understand your also doing f@h). I actually needed to repair my Opty180 rig ... so I will have that crunching tomorrow probably.

As has been mentioned, we've already got a F@H team for this forum, and the number of contributing users is 23ish (really it's more like 17, some peeps in the list stopped folding a while ago but they've still got a ppd average)

There's just not that many people on here who are either capable or willing to run programs like these. Personally I'd just like to keep things simpler and just have a single team instead of multiple teams running different programs for the same reason.

The problem I have is how high the cost of electricity is here. I try to shut down machines whenever possible. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom