World Community Grid ~ helllooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
Hey... I have been crunching with my q6600 over @ World Community Grid Team - TechREACTION.net Forums for a few months now...
I noticed tech-forums doesn't have a WCG team...

If you guys would be interested I can drag over my friend 123bob and start up a team over here. You can crunch on a CPU or a GPU and in my experience I find it much more "fun" and enjoyable then F@H... I usually leave my cpu crunching while I game and stuff and I never notice it... I only turn it off for intensive games and benchmarking :)

Team Stats for TechReaction in World Community Grid

Over at techreaction we have a small team crunching away. But I am sure if you got a team started up here all the q6600 owners and i7 920 owners would help make a beastly team!
note: You can crunch on any CPU... q6600's and i7 920's just are popular processors for crunching.
note: GPU's are limited to CUDA capable GPU's last time I checked.... but 123bob will know more :p

123bob gets all the credit for this write up:

If you want to know more read this
WCG/BOINC Easy Install Guide - TechREACTION.net Forums

If you guys want me and 123bob to help start up a team here just let me know! Either way I will be crunching:thumbsup:

Yes, and I understand F@H is a great thing and all. But while the GPU dominates PPD for F@H and focuses mostly on folding protein, you can help "crunch" numbers with your CPU (instead of using your CPU for f@h) for various causes with WCG. Ranging from a cure for AIDS to growing Rice!

I am not trying to say it is better then F@H but it can work along side of F@H and can do a great deal of good. I only use the CPU client personally for WCG.

If you would like me and 123bob to help setup a WCG team here we just want a few interested people to come forward and help get some points up for a Tech-Forums team :)

123bob is an active member at XS and Tech Reaction and crunches for both. I believe he has quite a big farm going.

I think this would be an okay idea if we had more people interested in it. The folding team as it is isn't terribly active.

Also, I only use my CPU to crunch at this moment, so I'm out already.

While it does sound like a decent idea, I personally dont think it will take off cause we have had the Folding Announcement right by the rules for YEARS now and we still have only a select few fold on a daily basis. I dont see this getting much more activity than folding does.

While i see that you can do both, one on the GPU and one on the CPU, the thing is there would have to be a significant want for the WGC client. I mean how much more work can i get done using the CPU Client of WGC than i could using it for F@H? Is it better to have a Intel CPU which has a better math processor than a AMD CPU? All these things must be considered.

I am sure that if it is seen that WGC can be brought to the site that someone could figure out how to get the team going. But really people are going to want to see that they can get more done doing this than they can with F@H. It is hard enough already trying to get people to contribute to that, let alone offer then another option to put their CPU through cycles.

Yha, it seems theres only a few on our forum that is intrested continually in distributed computing.
We only have bout 25 continuos folders., Drizzt use to fold, so he knows about the fah stuff.

Alot of larger team/forums offer "incentives" to fold, like the evga dollars, and larger forums give-aways.

I think its our forum membership that keeps our numbers lower than others. The population is such that funds are limited, so putting out the electricty isn't possible.

my 2 cents.

Well, if anyone is actually interested in crunching I created a team:
Tech-Forums
World Community Grid - Team
Join up and start crunching if you feel like it.

I would like to get 123bob to convince you guys about the value of WCG... I asked the same questions you guys did here. Infact, let me share with you some questions I had in this thread a few months ago: WCG/BOINC Easy Install Guide - TechREACTION.net Forums

F@H but not really?
This is not F@H, it's a different thing altogether. WCG uses the BOINC client, not the Stanford folding client. I also fold, but not here, at least not yet....

It is similar to folding in that the effort is to look for cures and treatments for a variety of diseases.

Bob
Honest questions:

1. Why do this instead of folding?
2. Is BOINC a more efficient client then the Stanford client? Then it would make sense to switch over to the one that will cure diseases faster.
First off, both methods seem to be worthwhile. I do both, and run GPUGrid on top of that....

As far as TR, their is no reason we could not setup a folding team too. I started with WCG crunching, so it's what I know best. I just started folding a bit ago. I'd like to get one team running first. So far, we only have three members, we need more to keep a team going.

1. Why do this instead of folding? I find that the BOINC client is a bit more polished in terms of it's behavior on machines. It seems to be easier for me to manage. Realize that I have to manage 16 quads on various crunching and folding accounts. I find the hooks that BOINC put in place makes it a bit easier to manage.

It also appears that the scope of projects available on WCG is broader than F@H. This allows more diverse intrests to be served.

In fairness, the folding clients have been out for a lot longer, and BOINC benefitted from the lessons learned there. I know the folding clients are being steadily improved.

2. Is BOINC a more efficient client then the Stanford client? Then it would make sense to switch over to the one that will cure diseases faster. The question of "efficient" is a tough one since they are not doing the same thing. I don't think I could say one is more efficient than the other. I think the general opinion is that folding is not very efficient at it's CPU client folding, but very efficient on it's GPU folding client. WCG is really efficient on it's CPU crunching, but does not offer GPU crunching yet. (Note that GPU BOINC crunching is available on GPUGrid. It may be available on WCG someday too.)

So, I crunch WCG on my CPUs, fold on some of the same machine's GPUs, and crunch GPUGrid on other machine's GPUs.

As to "cure diseases faster", it depends on what diseases you have an interest in curing. For some, the MS or AIDS projects at WCG may be more important to them. Therefore, they work WCG. Some may see the cancer cure potential greater with folding, over the two cancer project at WCG. Therefore, folding may be better for them.

Question for you....Have you folded before? Ever crunched WCG? You can do both on the same machine.....

Regards,
Bob
Ah that sounds good. Crunch on a quad, and fold on a gpu.
You got it. This makes lots of work get done...:cool:

I hope this helps you with some information :)
I will be putting a Opteron 180 towards this team to help get some points up while keeping my Q6600 on TR for the time being. As long as we are crunching it doesn't matter right :thumbsup:

Good information Drizzt.

Since it mentioned folding and crunching at the same time in one machine, I might be able to crunch on my secondary rig that I'm going to start folding on soon. I hope a 3700+ is good enough for WCG, and I'll have it's HD 3870 on F@H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom