Time for watercooling? Feedback needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Figured it's time to give this a try soon, here are a number of components a local guy has he says he'll sell me for cheap. What do you guys think of these items, I'd be looking to cool my q6600 and dual 260s. What would you recommend for missing components? I'm curious as to what is worth salvaging and how much it's worth:

- Swiftech pump 355 with petras top
- Apogge gt cpu block
- mcw60 vga block
- ek multi option 250 res
- Swiftech 360 rad
- Black ice 120 rad
- Antec tri cool fans
- 3/8" and 1/2" barbs plus tubing

Really I'm just looking for a decent setup to play around with and learn the watercooling thing as this would be my first try. Eventually, 2 year plan is to build a new system from scratch and WC it...but want some practice first.

- So essentially, what should I offer the guy for the above bundle?
- What should I keep and use vs re-sell?
- What do I still need that isn't covered here?

Thanks,

- Swiftech pump 355 with petras top (Buy)
- Apogge gt cpu block (Don't Buy)
- mcw60 vga block (Buy)
- ek multi option 250 res (Buy)
- Swiftech 360 rad (Buy)
- Black ice 120 rad (Don't Buy)
- Antec tri cool fans (Meh)
- 3/8" and 1/2" barbs (Only the barbs, used tubing is gross)

For that lot, offer about $175-180 give or take.

you will also need the MCW60 GT200 hold down mounting kit unless he includes it.

i just ordered a MCW60 revision 2 so i'll see how it performs. it'll be here by saturday :D

^mine performs pretty good... not like i have any other blocks to compare to though lol. highest ive seen after 12 hours of F@H was 37*C with an ambient of around 28*C.

- Swiftech pump 355 with petras top (Buy)
- Apogge gt cpu block (Don't Buy)
- mcw60 vga block (Buy)
- ek multi option 250 res (Buy)
- Swiftech 360 rad (Buy)
- Black ice 120 rad (Don't Buy)
- Antec tri cool fans (Meh)
- 3/8" and 1/2" barbs (Only the barbs, used tubing is gross)

For that lot, offer about $175-180 give or take.

Muahaha....here's my thread. lol, I'm a wee bit slow....didn't get that the thread got moved here :p

Thanks all! So the "Don't buy" stuff, as recommended by the WC guru, I'll re-sell (should he accept my offer), it's a lot sale, take all or nothing. So I was thinking a single loop on the system would be fine for now since I'm looking more for practice and am not looking to break any records or even have any real needs to push the system. Later I might up it to a second loop for the SLI cards.

Now when I was cruising swiftech's page I didn't think the mcw60 was compatible with the 260s. He doesn't have this hold down mounting kit so I didn't think it was worth holding onto this one either. Should I look for the kit or find something else for the sli cards?

Also, what kind of cpu block would you recommend for the q6600?

Thanks again guys!

Muahaha....here's my thread. lol, I'm a wee bit slow....didn't get that the thread got moved here :p

Thanks all! So the "Don't buy" stuff, as recommended by the WC guru, I'll re-sell (should he accept my offer), it's a lot sale, take all or nothing. So I was thinking a single loop on the system would be fine for now since I'm looking more for practice and am not looking to break any records or even have any real needs to push the system. Later I might up it to a second loop for the SLI cards.

Now when I was cruising swiftech's page I didn't think the mcw60 was compatible with the 260s. He doesn't have this hold down mounting kit so I didn't think it was worth holding onto this one either. Should I look for the kit or find something else for the sli cards?

Also, what kind of cpu block would you recommend for the q6600?

Thanks again guys!

you can easily find the mounting hardware acrost the net for about $5-$8,

Petra's Tech Shop

how much do you have to spend on the CPU block? the apogee will work in the mean time until you can get something better.

Hey!
I use a dtek fuzion v2 with my q6600 and everyone else loves it but I HATEEEE it :)
But yea... if you do get the dtek fuzion v2 don't get the quad insert because apparently it either doesn't do anything or lowers performance (I was very ****ed about that, I lost 2C's by taking it off but in the process I stripped the screws on my block.... so now I can't open or close it again... In a few months I'm going to take a dremel to the screws and put some new ones in :p)

I personally want to get this cpu block one day
eclipse-black-pvd01.jpg

sooo sexy it's called....
Ybris Eclipse
but I think it's Italian made and you have to search around to find one. I have yet to ask Aspire his opinon on the block though... but it gets glowing praise from everyone over at techreaction :)

mcw60 needs the gt200 retention bracket like someone already said. But only for the gt200 series (duh).
I have a MCW60 r1 and I've used it on an 8800gt and a 4850 so far and it rocks!
2iia1xk.jpg

That's my 4850 baby right there, vmodded and never goes above 41c's! (My ambient must be high because it's usually 39-40c's with furmark for only that short period of time it was running).

Hey... I have a swiftech 120.3 rad/res right now on my rig... it replaced a swiftech 120.2 that I no longer use and has been sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold/ used in a new rig. If you are interested shoot me a PM (If I am breaking rules somehow just delte this last part please ^>^).

Welcome to the slightly expensive but very fun world of watercooling! With aspire helping you, your in good hands :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom