Partition Magic 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris

Beta member
I got this program because i want to run windows XP without having to format my old ME 19gig drive as it has lots of my games on but i want to try XP out. I heard about this program so got hold of a copy and set up the wizard to create a new partition inside my existin drive and system. I selected That i wanted to install an OS and that it would be XP,then choose that i wanted it as a logical drive as I want to boot up with ME but still be able to test XP out. If i like XP i may format completely and just hav XP as my only OS. When i applied the 3 changed it told me i had created by choosing this set up it wanted me to reboot so i did. And it went through a scanning phase,got to 100% and said that there has been error 2003 which was to do with batch file sizes been wrong. I tryed once more and got same results. Can anyone help me? How can i get these errors away or is there a better way to do this?

Any help is much welcomed. Thanks.

I got this program because i want to run windows XP without having to format my old ME 19gig drive as it has lots of my games on but i want to try XP out. I heard about this program so got hold of a copy and set up the wizard to create a new partition inside my existin drive and system. I selected That i wanted to install an OS and that it would be XP,then choose that i wanted it as a logical drive as I want to boot up with ME but still be able to test XP out. If i like XP i may format completely and just hav XP as my only OS. When i applied the 3 changed it told me i had created by choosing this set up it wanted me to reboot so i did. And it went through a scanning phase,got to 100% and said that there has been error 2003 which was to do with batch file sizes been wrong. I tryed once more and got same results. Can anyone help me? How can i get these errors away or is there a better way to do this?

Any help is much welcomed. Thanks.

i sorted the problem and made the partition (i ran scandisk and defrag before attempting it again) But now i cant install XP because it need 1024megs to install and the largest partition PM7 would let me make was 345megs :( Why??? Any help? Any other programs i can use to keep my existing drive but make a larger partition than 345megs??

Thanks

i sorted the problem and made the partition (i ran scandisk and defrag before attempting it again) But now i cant install XP because it need 1024megs to install and the largest partition PM7 would let me make was 345megs :( Why??? Any help? Any other programs i can use to keep my existing drive but make a larger partition than 345megs??

Thanks

first resize your existing partition (the one with WinME) to a size that your comfortable with, and still leaves room for XP.
then create the new partition behind that one, formatting in NTFS or FAT32 whichever you prefer.

If you're running PM7 from windows, it should ask you to restart to make the changes for the already existing partition, this moves all the data around to the new size you specified (this will take some time, depending on the size of the drive and how full it already is).

Once you've got your new partition how you want it, i'd suggest installing Windows XP from within WindowsME. Make sure that you do the clean install, not the upgrade. Otherwise you'll overwrite your WinME install. There's also an "advanced" option that will allow you to tell the installer where you want it to install.

Hope this helps you out.

cheers

first resize your existing partition (the one with WinME) to a size that your comfortable with, and still leaves room for XP.
then create the new partition behind that one, formatting in NTFS or FAT32 whichever you prefer.

If you're running PM7 from windows, it should ask you to restart to make the changes for the already existing partition, this moves all the data around to the new size you specified (this will take some time, depending on the size of the drive and how full it already is).

Once you've got your new partition how you want it, i'd suggest installing Windows XP from within WindowsME. Make sure that you do the clean install, not the upgrade. Otherwise you'll overwrite your WinME install. There's also an "advanced" option that will allow you to tell the installer where you want it to install.

Hope this helps you out.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom