Salvaging some parts from old computer - $200 to build the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahledge

Baseband Member
I have from my old computer:

4gb memory (corsair xms2 ddr2 memory if that matter)
graphics card (pci express radeon hd 2600 pro)
some hard drive?
cd/dvd drive
keyboard/mouse
monitor
speakers

So this leaves me to get a cpu, motherboard, power supply and case....correct?

Is this possible for $200 is my question. Other than the usual music, movies and internet use I will be playing the following games: Counter strike source, diablo 2, warcraft 3, then eventually starcraft 2 and diablo 3...I am thinking that with $200 budget for the rest of my computer wont be enough to run SC2 and D3 but maybe you guys can help me out. If 200 is not enough would 300 do it?

let the bargain hunting begin!

thanks in advance for any help.

I have from my old computer:

4gb memory (corsair xms2 ddr2 memory if that matter)
graphics card (pci express radeon hd 2600 pro)
some hard drive?
cd/dvd drive
keyboard/mouse
monitor
speakers

So this leaves me to get a cpu, motherboard, power supply and case....correct?

Is this possible for $200 is my question. Other than the usual music, movies and internet use I will be playing the following games: Counter strike source, diablo 2, warcraft 3, then eventually starcraft 2 and diablo 3...I am thinking that with $200 budget for the rest of my computer wont be enough to run SC2 and D3 but maybe you guys can help me out. If 200 is not enough would 300 do it?

let the bargain hunting begin!

thanks in advance for any help.

Well unless you use an existing case, just that alone will eat up about half of that. I think you're probably looking closer to the $300 side, but definitely more than $200. Just a new processor and mobo is going to most likely go over that.

EDIT: Oh and your memory, is that going to be compatible with the new mobo is something you have to consider as well. Because if it isn't then you will have to buy that as well.

I dont care if the cpu/mobo are a few years old. I just want the PC to run those games I mentioned...if it cant run sc2 or diablo 3 then oh well. I was thinking of getting a $50~ case and was looking at the antec three hundred. newegg also has combo deals with that to get case+power supply and mobo+cpu alot of the time....i just dont know which is best for the money.

Hang tight then, usually someone can chime in with some of the latest deals at Newegg. There is a lot of regulars here that will know what good deals there are I'm sure.

Save money by buying your case locally. Can usually nab one for $20 if you aren't picky.

Should be easy to pick up Cpu/Gpu/Psu for $180. I got my antec basiq 350w psu for $20 as well at Fry's. Not an amazing psu, but not crap.

You can easily buy a cpu/mb/psu/case for $200, you just have to shop by price comparison rather than by looks.

Cpu/Motherboard, $125,99- Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Case/Psu: $56.99 with free shipping. Newegg.com - HEC 6C28BBX585 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 585W Power Supply - Computer Cases

Total- $182.98

Can I get a second opinion on these?

Cpu/Motherboard, $125,99- Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Case/Psu: $56.99 with free shipping. Newegg.com - HEC 6C28BBX585 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 585W Power Supply - Computer Cases

if all that is fine for what I want to do and my memory fits in there then awesome ill buy that right now....then there is the issue of me a total newb techie putting it all together haha

As the person who posted them, I'll be the first to say what most people's second opinion will be: The power supply will probably go bad in less than a year after you buy it. Such is common fare.

I would reccomend you buy a cheaper case (around $20) and a $30-$40 PSU from newegg or tigerdirect. I was just throwing out a combo deal because yes, you CAN build your computer for under $200, quite easily.

In general its a bad idea to buy a case online for two reasons:

1) Shipping is a *****. If you don't get free shipping, cheap cases cost more to ship than to buy.
2) Cases do not look anything alike online as they do in person. A picture can't tell the difference between a well constructed metal case, and a plastic one that will break apart after a few times of opening it up and closing it.

-EDIT-

Google chrome won't let me edit for some reason, so I'm making a new post:

Just got an email with this deal, seems decent.

ASUS EVGA 9500GT Barebone Kit - Asus M2N68-AM SE2 MOBO, Athlon II X2 215 2.7GHz CPU,1GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, Case w/ 450 Watt PSU at TigerDirect.com

wow thats awesome!!! I think I am going to get it. That video card is better than mine too, can anyone tell me if corsair xps2 memory fits in there?

Thanks alot brinson!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom