Graphics Performance List

Over here I can get a GTX 295 CHEAPER than a HD5870. And our tech is generally more expensive than most other places.
I don't know what everyone's going on about with "o omg the gtx 295 is like a hunnard bucks more espensive"

GTX295 = Average around $500. 5870 = $380 here in the U.S.

The cheapest 5870 in WA is a little more. A few stores seem to have pulled down their prices recently (either that or staticice just updated its databases).

even in canada it is like 100 bucks more

I have been looking at benchmarks for the 5870 for the last two days looking to see if i will upgrade to it. It beats the 295 in a good bit of thigns, yes the 295 on average is better, but i suspect, like has been said. Driver updates will allow it to utilize the hardware more efficiently and it will step ahead. The 5870 is a **** good card put out by ati. With nvidia's new gpu's being more focused on computer and super computer clusters rather then gaming i suspect that they will be disappointing and ati will lead with the 5870 and future cards for quite a while. Yes nvidia has not mentioned if they will put out other models focused on gaming. It is a pretty risky move by nvidia though. Hopefully the cards they put out will atleast hold there ground against ati, but they most likely will be a good bit behind ati this round.

Right now my plan is to build a new pc around January, with out a new gpu, stick with my c216 for another month or so, then get either 1 or 2 5870's. 2 would be over kill, and sadly in the odd thing (i think i seen two benchmarks) the gtx 295 beats crossfire 5870's by one of 2 points/frames. But in everything else that i have seen 2x5870's win be quite a decent margin.

BTW, nice list baez.

I didn't go through all the pages of this thread, so if someone knows for sure its back there just tell me to go look. But i was wondering if there were any manufacturers to avoid when buying a gpu, or any that i should gravitate towards. I'm was looking at the hd 4770 or maybe something around there. I don't need top of the line at all, any more than 512mb would be overkill for my monitor. I think the most gpu intensive games i have are Oblivion, Stronghold 2, and Civilization III. I probably won't be buying a game anytime soon as i would rather put money into computer. But if i were to get a new game, I would like to be able to play it albeit not at highest settings.

For ATi cards, HIS, Sapphire, ASUS, and an honorable mention to XFX (now that they make ATi cards), are the brands you should look at.

For Nvidia, XFX, EVGA, ASUS, and Zotac (is climbing).

Back
Top Bottom