HDMI & Optical

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZPERRY

Baseband Member
Hey i recently got a load of new gear (pc, tv, surround sound)
Now ive wired the pc up to my tv with a hdmi cable,
From the tv i have a optical cable to the surround sound.

I was just wondering if anyone thinks theres any flaws in this method.....
(Does optical run HD sound)

Yes there will be flaws. Cause all that is doing is taking the sound from teh TV and making it surround. That wont make the sound coming from your PC surround. You would have to hook up your sound card to the receiver.

Moved to Audio & Multimedia.

Arg, your right, my xbox is also plugged up same way (no problems there)
But the pc is thinking im using the tvs speakers 2.1.
The amp is converting it once its playing tho,
Is there any software i can use to send 5.1 to the tv ?????

Not with the setup you have. You would have to have a sound card that had the digital output on it to allow for you to connect it to the receiver.

The way you have it setup it will send the sound to your TV and use those speakers.

hmmmm seems to look that way, going to have to buy another optical cable,
Atm it plays through surround sound, all speakers too but the pc is sending L and R out not 5.1. ARGGG i knew there was somat not too right with the rear speaker volume level......

ive gone out of pc in to amp (optical) now its playing TRUE 5.1.
cheers for pointing this out, i would of been listing to stero rather then surround.
Why so serious? :)

Whatever you do, don't spend lots of money on optical and HDMI Cables, especially HDMI cables.

HDMI Cables are the biggest rip off and joke of the past 10 years, HDMI is digital. It carries 1's and 0's. One HDMI cable will not offer you better picture, sound or anything than any other HDMI cable. The only improvements on expensive ones is how well made they are. Same story for optical, pretty much - there are a few more variables with optical cables but not much. Don't beleive the crap people tell you on TV and in adverts !

Ahh yeh i know, i spend a fair but off money just due to the fact of i did'nt wanna buy cheap crap that wont last 2 mins....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom