Format Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have to create a new partition yes, which should automatically format the new partition. Vista/7 can do this in the Disk Management.

I did it in disk management. I started with a new 700gb and wanted to add a 300gb partition for a backup Im doing. I formatted the whole 700gb first, without adding the pertiton first and doing them seperate. When I created the new partition, it was unallocated. I was wondering if I can just activate it (the option that says "Dont Format") or if I have to format it (300) again.....after I formatted the whole drive together the first time.
And now Id like to know the consequences of stopping it once its started, LOL. I accidentally started the format process on the new partition and this is going to take forever. Is it formatted already?.....can i just stop it?.....its a clean drive but i dont want problems later.......I really dont know if that would be the case.

If you stop it you can adversly affect the process. Possibly causing bad sectors. Use GParted. It only takes a few minutes to do all this stuff.

Gparted is a bootable CD. You dont even go into Windows. It has its own interface that you work with. So it should work no matter what.

I used GParted to make a 80GB partition on a 320GB drive, and it took quite some time. (Own personal experience...) I think I may have used it wrong. :p

The most i have seen GParted take to do anything, even on my old P4 machine was like 5 minutes. That was with 320GB drives. The reason it could haev taken so long was it had to move data from the back of the partition to the front to create the space at the end. In which case it can take up to a hour or longer to do this as it has to move files. ;)

The most i have seen GParted take to do anything, even on my old P4 machine was like 5 minutes. That was with 320GB drives. The reason it could haev taken so long was it had to move data from the back of the partition to the front to create the space at the end. In which case it can take up to a hour or longer to do this as it has to move files. ;)

LOL, thats still about 4 hours less than it took to format the 300gb partition (blank) in windows disc manager. No Joke.

I did something wrong then. I may have written the drive with zero's, but I can't remember. (had a virus or some issue with it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom