looking to upgrade my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrushe

Beta member
Hi, first post here and im looking for some help. I recently purchased an AMD phenomx3 8550 and stuck an nvidia 250GTS in there along with a new PSU. However im not too happy with the 2.20 clock speed of my cores. I'm pretty ignorant about computers and to be honest when i bought it i just thought.. "hmm three cores can't go wrong" after trying to play some games i found out i was sorely mistaken. So now i'm shopping around for a CPU and found

Newegg.ca - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

my question is will this work with my computer? my motherboard is an Acer RS740DVF, i've tried googling both products to check their compability with no luck. Any help here would be appreciated thanks.

northbridge and bios? I'm afraid both those terms just went over my head. How can you even tell if a prospective CPU is compatible with a motherboard? I figured they would have a list over at the manufacturers site, or possibly a third party compilation list, but I've yet to find either.

Why aren't you satisfied with your build? Its possible its because of something unrelated to the cpu.

Why aren't you satisfied with your build? Its possible its because of something unrelated to the cpu.

higher end games simply don't perform well on my PC due to an apparent bottleneck i've been told. Cell loading issues cause my fps to enter a sort of slow motion haze when i navigate around lasting anywhere from 5-10 seconds, occurring every 30 seconds. It's not a driver issue as i've tried both the newest drivers(which apparently are bugged) and i've used older more stable drivers, as well as clean booting my PC incase any backround programs were the cause.

While the phenom 3x cpus aren't the best, I think they are still rather nice...I doubt it is incapable of playing most if not all games at very playable FPS. I would think the issue lies elsewhere, perhaps a more gaming oriented person can respond?

What games are you playing? Higher end games will probably not do too well on your system as you have already observed. Doing some fine tuning in the games' graphic performance settings can help make the game more playable, but it will bring down the over all gaming experience. If you want to play new games with high level graphic settings, then you will probably need to look for better parts. The first phenoms were kind of a fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom