just got some money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what brand your 6800 is, but if its eVGA, and less than three months old, I would send it in using the Step-Up Program and pay the difference on a 6800GT. Then get another stick of 512 Ram or something

how long will my graphics card last me?

and is it a good idea to just buy 3x1gb sticks and max out my ram?

Your graphics card will do everything you want it to do. Untill Nvidia releases their high end cards on PCI-E or comes out with new or better additions to the 6800 line, their really is no reason to change, even to the GT or Ultra, unless your a real nut about speed, and you want everything to be top of the line. But as I mentioned before it would have been worth doing had the card been less than three months old in my opinion. About the Ram people are always saying the more the better, but I doubt you will ever be able to use 3 gigs of ram. I would say that your good getting a gig in total. But anyways, look into a 10k RPM Hard Drive, it should decrease load, and boot times, as well as many other hard drive dependent tasks. Thats just my opinion.

I would definitely not go for the Corsair XMS if I was you. True, it is extremely fast, however, I doubt you will notice anything over what you have. It is more of overclocker's memory, if that is what you want to do. For me this is an easy decision:

2x512 of Corsair XMS Low Latency: $270
or
1x512 stick of current Kingston ValueRAM: $80

That isn't a hard decision. The difference in speed is so small that it in NO WAY justifies spending an extra $190 dollars.

As for getting 3 GB of RAM to max it out, I say no as well. Unless you're doing video editing or heavy CAD work, you don't need any more than 1 GB at all. As we speak, I have open an anti-virus program, spy sweeper, Winamp(with music playing), 2 IE windows, and a chess program and am experience no slowdown with 512 MB of RAM. I couldn't think of any reason you would need more than 1 GB.

Regarding your video card, keep what you have. Right now, that is one of the best video cards available. See for yourself here, to see how it compares with others in Doom 3: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html

As far as the hard drive goes, if you're doing fine with 80 GB, stick with it. If you're running out of space, then get another 120 or 160 GB. A 74 GB raptor costs about $160-180 dollars, which is A LOT of money for some speed. Once again, I don't think it is worth the upgrade for that much money.

Of course it's your decision, but if I was you, I would do the following:

(1) Get another 512 MB stick of Kingston ValueRAM for a total of 1 GB

(2) If you need more hard drive space, get another one that is 120 or 160 GB. If you're doing fine with what you have now, then don't change anything.

(3) Keep the video card. It is a great one already, there's no need to upgrade now to a 6800 GT/Ultra.

In conclusion, if you just upgrade your RAM, that is only $80 bucks, which still leaves you with $220 to put towards future upgrades. You could save up for a 6800 GT/Ultra. That's just my input, but do what you feel like.

no i thank u very very much for taking the time to help me like this. i only said about the graphics card because when i play farcry right now, every 2 minutes my screen will like stop and freeze for like 3 seconds then go back. i thought it is like my vidcard. it might be dirvers i have the 61.77. is that outdated? or the freeze up might be the RAM, i will just get another stick of kingston ram. then i will save the rest for later.

I just checked the nVidia website, and 61.77 is still the latest driver update. Maybe you could check the Far Cry website and see if there is anything there you could download. Other than that, I don't know what the problem could be. Maybe a clean re-install of the game? Good luck with your updates and enjoy your new H2 :)

Even if you get another stick of ram, your computer wont utilize it. You can only have 1 stick with the socket 754 cpu's, even if your motherboard has more then one slot.

Even if you get another stick of ram, your computer wont utilize it. You can only have 1 stick with the socket 754 cpu's, even if your motherboard has more then one slot.

Plz tell me that ain't true cuz if it is i wasted 100 bucks. and Also if it's true, give me proof. !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom