Grahpics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcastaldo13

Solid State Member
Are two gtx 285 graphics cards the best money can buy, or is the gtx 295 better. Or something else entirely

well personally.

I would get the GTX295 and buy the other card and SLI it at a later date (if you really feel you need it at that point)
Rather than buy 2x 285's and have 2 cards stuck on hand when you want to upgrade.
Technology is moving quickly.

well I was hoping to get the best money can buy, maybe even a little overkill, so that I wouldnt have to upgrade for a while, so maybe two gtx 295's?

just make sure you have a PSU that can power those things.
and a CPU that can keep up with it.
and RAM that can keep up with the CPU while its trying to keep up with the GPU's.

I knew a guy who had (back in 2004 or 2005 one of the two)

He had a brand new x800 Pro (nice video card back in the day)
He had a dual cpu setup (two really weak cpu's)
and 256mb RAM.

Can we say bottlenecked? He finally upgraded to 2GB RAM, still... His CPU's were weak. Better Performance with the RAM upgrade, but you can tell he was not tapping into the potential power of the video card.

I would wait a bit for the new 300 series to see how they pan out. I would not buy 2 x gtx295's so close to the release of new cards.

what board do you have? Is it sli only? or is xfire an option for you as well?

^^ More then enough. 12gb of ram is overkill, 6gb is all you really need unless you run a bunch of VM's or some intense programming.

If you really wanted to you could get two 5870's, the fastest single gpu out right now. Although they're kinda hard to find and they're the new DX11 chips. So there really aren't any games that can take full advantage of the card.

We won't know that until they come out but I suspect October or early November.

I really don't think Nvidia is going to release a new card if it won't outperform the old card.

The ATI 5870 is a fast card, but the GTX 295 outperforms it in quite a few games and Benchmarks. The Guru3D.com just reviewed the 5870 in Crossfire and the GTX 285 in SLI even managed to win a couple of tests. Radeon HD 5870 CrossfireX test review

If your planning to upgrade soon you should wait.

The i7 975 is a waste of money, the 920 and a Good Heatsink will beat it for a lot less money.

Have you purchased the i7 975 yet.

The 300's are still a waiting game as to if they will be worth the wait. I would just not drop a ton of money on cards right at the moment. I am hoping for a Dec release but not holding my breath as nothing is firm yet. the new 5870's are looking good if you can get you hands on some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom