Laptop Svideo to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob91

Baseband Member
I've got an HP DV6000 laptop, and what I'm interested in doing is playing media on it and hooking it up to my TV. I can get this to work via the S video port on laptop, but there is a significant quality degradation when played on the TV. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way?

Thanks so much.

Hello,

I'm not sure how much degradation you're seeing, but nonetheless, the quality of S-Video is usually not that great. It can only transmit video at a resolution of 480i of 576i and it's often fuzzy and grainy. However, for playing back videos on your TV, it will usually just suffice.

Whether there's a better solution will depend the video inputs / outputs which are available on your laptop and TV. Which other video outputs (if any) do you have on your laptop? Also, what TV do you have, and what video inputs does it have?

This is pretty much normal.

I have fround that using Windows Xp MCE improves things a little bit. But i would not be formatting my hard drive just for that.

S-video sucks. Does your laptop have VGA? You'll see a huge difference using VGA if your laptop supports it.

Is it a standard or hi-def TV? Svideo is for standard def. You will want something else for high def.

So my laptop also has a VGA output, is that better?

My TV is not an HD. It's a Sony Trinitron model kv32fs200. I'm a little ignorant regarding what to call the inputs on the back of the TV...but it appears to just have that typical yellow input. There's also a green one, not sure what that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom