Is an i7 920 supposed to run this hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I have that new, big fan installed. But now there's other problems.

Just had a very bad crash while playing Champions Online (whole system froze, and there was this horrendous audio feedback). Temps seem better, overall, but I'm having stability issues when I put the system under stress.

This thing seems like it wants to tackle everything perfectly, but it just can't do it without crashing or resetting eventually. I'd like to blame the heat, but I'm not an expert. The hottest core isn't going above 57 C under stress anymore, though.

It could very well just be Champions Online, I suppose, I only have trouble when playing that.

are all your drivers up to date? after one of their patches i was having really really bad lag until i updated my video card driver..then that seemed to fix the problem

ZOMG you play champions online? what's your main character's name and global handle?

im constantine@soulofadra6on

I have a lot of characters, but my handle is @seeker_vritri

I like the game a lot! I'm supporting it because I'd love to see where it could be in a few years, content-wise.

are all your drivers up to date? after one of their patches i was having really really bad lag until i updated my video card driver..then that seemed to fix the problem

Yeah, I downloaded the drivers for my 260 yesterday. I -am- running the Windows 7 beta, so, that could be part of the problem.

So my temps seem normal, but regardless, the system likes to just reboot after an hour of heavy use (playing any kind of game.)

Any ideas?

Have you monitored the temps while you play. Play for like 30-45 minutes and see how high it gets. Really seems like an overheating problems.

Have you monitored the temps while you play. Play for like 30-45 minutes and see how high it gets. Really seems like an overheating problems.

I have. I'll play for about an hour, check my temps, and the hottest core will be about 55C. It never seems to go past that. I'm not looking at my GPU temperature, though, which might be the problem. If this continues, there's nothing else I can do to keep this system cool, I've put in an aftermarket fan. And it's an antec 900... I can't afford a full tower.

I mean, it restarts after an hour of Civilization 4, for goodness sake. Not exactly the most intense game, graphically. o_O

I'm using a 750w power supply. Maybe that's it?

750W should easily handle your rig. Watch the GPU temps though. Use EVGA Precision :D, it's pretty nifty.

750W should easily handle your rig. Watch the GPU temps though. Use EVGA Precision :D, it's pretty nifty.

If the culprit turns out to be the GPU, is there anything I can do to underclock it or cool it down? Or something?

Edit: Oh, never mind. Precision IS nifty. :O

I adjusted the fan to run much higher. Maintained about 58 C while running a stressful game. Played for a little over an hour, temp never went over 58 C...

And it restarted, like clockwork, just like before. I'm kind of at a loss, here.

Check in the event viewer for what caused the shutdown. There should be an error there.
And 58C under full load is fine for an i7 on stock. It's pretty good in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom