Building a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Looking to build a home server system. I already have 3 computers in the house, was looking to get a used dell desktop tower with everything in it and then add some stuff to it. I've always built my own computers...how easy is it to add HD's, RAM, etc to a dell machine?

Thanks.

well its pretty easy to make a server..

you need just a couple of things.

Reliability (Stable PSU * Preferably Redundant * , Stable OS, Stable Software)
Storage Space (Reliable, Fast, and Preferably a Redundant RAID config)

If you can incorporate that into a computer.. You have yourself a *TRUE* server.

One of my older servers I rebuilt was a:

Quad Xeon 700mhz Ea.
2GB RDRAM
4x 36GB SCSI Cheetahs in RAID 0+1
4x 400watt PSU(needed minimum 2 to function, and they were hot swappable)

Thanks for your reply. So...buying a used old dell desktop to get started as a server might not work? I'm seeing the ones that are for sale (about $150) dont have much for expandability.

With a Dell, your getting into limited upgrade options and they don't have the most spacious cases either lol

try your local craigslist.

You can get an old server for around $150-300
Most of them will need some HD's and a fresh OS install
Most of them will have Dual Xeons and about 2-4GB ram.

Granted some of the servers are rackmounted, but screw it, desk... floor.. its all the same.

A true server is exactly what Uzi said. however, you can set up a regular computer to be a server, but you won't have the redundancy of a true server (unless you put it in).

Thanks guys...was just going to use a regular desktop as the server just to get some training on how to build and use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom