I have 2 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

adaeon

Solid State Member
Hi. I have a 22" Dell widescreen monitor running in 1680x1050 resolution. I also have
a 17" eMachines monitor running at 1440x900 resolution. Is there any way to get them to work together? The "Extend" button is grayed out.

If my computer specs will help, here they are:

1.6 ghz Intel Celeron Dual Core processor
2.5 GB PC2-6400 memory
256 MB ATI Radeon HD2600 PRO graphics card
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

I also have another problem... my graphics card's temperature. I read the reviews for my ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro and they said that it can hit 76 degrees celsius. Which it was when I was first concerned. However, lately after I cleaned it, when I play Oblivion OR EVEN Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, the temperature hits 81-83 degrees celsius. I asked on Yahoo Answers and someone said not to worry until it hits 90 degrees. I don't want to believe that because it's hot as heck now. My old graphics card was a Nvidia GeForce 6800 XT in my older computer and it got to 62 degrees celsius with Oblivion on the highest settings. Also, when I exit the game, within 45 seconds the temperature goes from 81-83 degrees celsius back down to 67 degrees or so, then eventually idles at 61-63 degrees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :))

On the temp issue, its quite possible you caused the crap you were cleaning to get lodged further in the card, and/or in the case, so its not cooling as well. 81C is warmer than it should be.

On the screen issue. Make sure you have the 17" selected, then try to click extend.

Well I cleaned the card again to make sure, and it didn't make a difference. I also cleaned my case, and that didn't either (which I didnt think it would I just thought I'd be sure). It still is hitting 81C-83C and it has maxed at 85C on Crysis.

As for the dual monitors, when I clicked the image of the 17", it showed it was there, but did not display the name of the monitor, as if it was not connected. It showed that my main monitor was a dell. To be sure, I set the resolution to 1440x900 and plugged in my 17" as the main monitor. It recognized that as the main monitor and said it was an eMachines monitor. As for the secondary display, it was showing that the 22" was a second monitor, but yet again did not seem to recognize it. Does it need to be the same resolution setting...? Or is there some file/patch I can get to make this work...?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/how-set-up-dual-monitors-216427/

I have it posted in there.

Right click on the desktop. Select Personalize. There once you get that screen up click the Display Settings. There you should see your 2 screens. Click on the 2nd one and there should be a check box that says "Extend my desktop to this screen" Click that box and you should see the 2nd screen kick on.

If it is going to work this is the setup on how to do it. If not you will most likely have to update your graphics drivers.

Thanks for the help. However, I did not know that Windows was not managing my dual displays since I had the Catalyst Control Center for my graphics card. I had to extend it through that program. It works great. I love the dual displays now!

On the card fan issue, it blows air better than my CPU cooler. My CPU usually hits about 135F though, which I can say I'm happy about.

Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom