CD/DVDr drive wont eject

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had issues after the BIOS flash, there was problems with the system before it. The problems were not caused by the update. Simply put the BIOS is just to get the system to boot the OS. It has very little interaction beyond that. The reason those old mother boards needed the update is because it was 6 years since a new Windows was released and very few updates were needed. BIOS updates were needed to get Vista working since it was different than XP.

So your system already had a issue, it was not caused by the BIOS update.

If I may interject, hollyoaks, I think what Mak is trying to point out is the BIOS updates (firmware updates to your BIOS) and updates to your operating system are seperate processes.

So what Mak is saying, the way I am reading it anyway, is the problems you have been experiencing may go back to your Dell BIOS upgrade or before, and that a fresh Vistal install doesn't necessarily take care of the problem(s) you have been experiencing. Maybe Im wrong, and excuse me for interjecting. I am trying to help here and I hope that I have helped in making things clearer.

no it didn't as it was a fresh install of vista and my computer is only 9 month old

Point being?

I have seen your threads all over the site and you have had major issues upon reinstalls cause of some things you do without being up to date and protected. Sorry for being blunt but it is the truth.

Simply put it doesnt matter if the install is fresh on a PC that is 2 minutes or or 20 years old.

The problem was before the BIOS update. You need to learn to do a fresh install with keeping yourself protected. Plain and simple, do NOT have the internet hooked up when you install the OS. Make sure that before, yes i said BEFORE, you format and reinstall you have the executable of your anti virus of choice downloaded and put onto a storage media upon which you can transfer back. Meaning a USB Thumb Drive or CD or whatever. Download it that day just before you format to make sure that it has the most current definitions and everything.

Then format, install the OS and right away install the Anti-virus. Only AFTER you have the OS installed and the AV of choice installed do you hook up the internet to update the Os and the AV.

This way not matter what you do from that point on you have a security measure in place to stop infections from happening. If you leave the internet plugged in when you do the install and dont put a AV on right away you are leaving yourself open for attack the minute you open a browser without protection on. Doing it this way ensures that you will be protected at least by a anti-virus from the minute you connect to the internet to the minute you shut down.

Update the OS, install your programs, get a secure browser and then you can surf in safety. That is the best way for a user to go about a install. Granted those of us who have a bit more knowledge and understanding of these things do not do it cause we know and understand what we can and cant do when we are connected without protection.

the last time i done fresh install it was from the partition drive recovery(E) and did not have the internet plugged in it comes with MacFee. Infact that is where i have done all my reinstalls from are you saying that partition has something wrong with it or have i been sold faulty goods?.

It could very well have a issue. It is using McAfee which is one of the lower rated protection software utilities, not to mention that it is already 9 months old as you say with its definitions. So it is very easily that it could get infected once you connect to the net.

i think i have had issues with that recovery partition from the start then, downloading windows 7 pro just now going to install that cant be botherd with vista no more.

Well put it this way. If you have the drive visible and able to be accessed by Windows when in use, meaning that it shows up as the D:\ Drive or whatever and you can browse it, what is to stop an infection from going to that drive?

Think about it. Infections are known for their ability to infect systems with just access. USB Thumb Drives are notorious for infecting system with just being plugged in. So having the drive be accessible is the same thing as hooking up a infected USB Thumb Drive.

So yes it is very simple to say that the Recovery Partition is compromised when you think of that. This is why those Recovery Partitions need to stay hidden from the view of Windows to stay effective.

Even then you get a Trial version of a anti-virus solution with them and it is as old as your PC is. So the definitions are out of date from the second you start the restore process. So you would have to disconnect from the internet, restore, remove the old AV, install the new AV, then hook back up and update. Only then could you be at least moderately protected.

Its not going to be any different if you use Win7, XP, Server 2008, or any other Windows OS. the second you get infected you need to take EVERY step to get it removed and protect yourself from it happening again. No matter WHAT OS YOU USE. going to Win7 isnt going to resolve all of your issues.

That's what i have done Mak stay of the internet the past couple of times uninstall Macafee and install my Avast. Would doing a clean install of windows 7 not be the best idea as disk will be wiped. As i think that's what's happened to the recovery partition on vista. Or do you think its a hardware defect with my machine as it is still under warranty but i would have problems proving it dissappears as it is there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom