Wireless WPA2 vs WEP... who is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt19dohc

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,

Work is really getting to me. The other day i went on the road to a customer's house who was having trouble with her wireless router and getting all her computers online. The problem was that the ISP was requiring she use WPA2. Her pc connected by ethernet cable to the router was getting on. Her wireless laptop was able to get on, but her older desktop running what WinXP was not able to connect to the internet or the wireless signal. The message on that desktop was "you chose to connect using WPA2, but your network adapter does not support this type of encryption". In my position, I am only allowed to figure out the problem and report back for another tech to fix, which i think is pretty stupid, but that's how the company operates. So my explanation in my report was that the older desktop was using an old wireless adapter that would not recognize WPA2. My manager was *****ing about it and was really putting me down. So the next day, the other tech went out to actually fix the problem and reported back with the same exact findings I did and he was able to fix it because he did have a replacement wireless adapter. So I was proven right by the followup tech, but I am still very unhappy with how I was treated for my correct findings. I am already looking for a new job because I can't deal with the belittling. So what would you have done? I'm really to the point now where they continually tell me my findings are wrong and then when they send the other person out, I am proved correct.

I would have done the same as you I suppose. You correctly identified the problem and you reported it to them. That is your job and that is what you did, if they are not going to believe your report then there is no point working for them.

Having said that you should be pretty happy just to have a job at the moment and TBH they are probably doubting you because it sounds like you lack confidence. If I were you I would
1) not quit just yet
2) I would study and practise so that I really knew what I was talking about
3) I would double check my findings then I would confidently report them.

Well first off good job, you did the right thing.

Secondly is this something that happens on a regular basis (people putting you down)? If so find a new job or report the behavior to a supervisor. Not sure how large the company is but if it is of decent size you should be able to report the activity.

If it were me, and I would have probably fought back a bit. I guess i don't understand how exactly the guy was *****ing about it, i mean was he saying that couldn't be the issue? Because i would say to his face 'hey this is the issue, and if you don't think it is what do YOU believe it is?' Then once you found out you were correct I would have rubbed it in his face since he was *****ing about you being wrong in the first place. Again that is just me and some people operate in a way that will continually put you down until you stick up for yourself and actually prove them wrong (case in point you proving the adapter was old).

Well first off good job, you did the right thing.

Secondly is this something that happens on a regular basis (people putting you down)? If so find a new job or report the behavior to a supervisor. Not sure how large the company is but if it is of decent size you should be able to report the activity.

If it were me, and I would have probably fought back a bit. I guess i don't understand how exactly the guy was *****ing about it, i mean was he saying that couldn't be the issue? Because i would say to his face 'hey this is the issue, and if you don't think it is what do YOU believe it is?' Then once you found out you were correct I would have rubbed it in his face since he was *****ing about you being wrong in the first place. Again that is just me and some people operate in a way that will continually put you down until you stick up for yourself and actually prove them wrong (case in point you proving the adapter was old).

It actually only happens with specific managers. The one who is the top manager who everyone else reports to does not do that. The other managers do a little but I they seriously do not have the education and certifications that I do. Once the other tech came back with his report, the manager who was telling me that I was wrong had a majorly ****ed off look on his face like he knew he was wrong and all I could do that day was give him an evil grin to rub it in his face. That was the second time he challenged my knowledge and the second time he was proven wrong. He just announced that he is going back to school for accounting. I guess computers just was not his forte...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom