a little help from my friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
I have messed around with hardware on and off for the past couple years, but have just started really getting into it, and a friend asked me to upgrade his outdated computer. I am happy to report that I have negotiated a price ($50 and some computer parts) to replace his 1.6Ghz cpu with a 2.4Ghz and upgrade ram from 512mb to 1gb. All upgrade parts were free to me (handed out $10 as a thank you gesture) and I get a parts tower out of the deal. Just really excited to be started in a field that I have much interest in :)

Also, with the leftover parts I was able to bring my parents dinosaur from 64Mb ram to 192Mb (and maybe up to mobo max of 512Mb by the time i'm finished with it all) I know these are all entry level upgrades, but tis a start for me.

Next step is to turn my <1yr old computer into a beast. future plans are:

pc power and cooling 750w silencer single rail
4x 2gb corsair ddr2 800Mhz dual channel (or 2x 2gb dual and 2x1gb dual)
AMD Phenom x4 940 Black 3.0Ghz
[decent gpu not sure which, but that will be later mod]

probably in that order, then start all over again :) but more or less im just excited bout all this.

HEHE your in the addiction now LOL That's how I started, Fixing friends computers after my first build the started building for friends and now I do it for a small side job, Friends know someone wanting to buy a new PC and looking in Best Buy so they send them to me and I put together a list of parts for them and charge $100 for putting it together and getting it up and running for cheaper than the Dell they were looking at for a better PC. I actually built a complete computer minus a power supply for my ex's son out of nothing more than spare parts leftover from everyone else's upgrades. When I get the old computer from someone I clean it up and get it running back to usable and usually donate it to some one who is down and out in need of a basic PC. It's my way of giving a little back to those in need for no charge and it helps get rid of the clutter of all the old PC's kicking around. SO my EX's son got a free PC from every one esle's leftovers and put a power supply in as a gift. SO this is the path you have to look forward too. Getting to do something that's actually fun (I think building is fun) and make a little money in the process.

Dauntae

My addiction has subsided somewhat as I don't have the money supply to maintain it, hehe, but I mainly got hooked leading up to my first build, and then helping other friends build theirs. You'll find plenty of passion for computer tech at TF my friend!

Indeed. I have probably spend an average of 3 hours a night for the last 2 weeks scouring these forums, looking up specs, and checking/testing monitoring software. I think i've got a decent base to start my build being as the pc is <1yr old. and as soon as i get a couple upgrades complete, I'll basically have this computer running strong as ****, and I will have built a computer with pretty much same specs as this computer as is now. I can't wait, and it will be starting soon as I think I have found a mobo for $70 which will support future upgrades and OC's while still accommodating my current components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom