Computer uses minutes to start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rborno

Beta member
Hey,my computer crashed this weekend.I believe it was on tuesday.
Anyway,i had Windows Vista Ultimate on the computer when it crashed,i simply turned on the pc and when the Windows Vista logo comes the load bar under it simply stopped,and then a blue screen appeared.I tried several times over to restart the pc to see if it would work but no such luck.

I deceided to install Vista all over but since it wouldnt start up to windows i couldnt restart the computer in Windows with Vista install DVD in the DVD drive.
So i deceided to install Windows XP instead,since i could boot it from the cd rom.
i tried several times to install XP but each time it took a little over 5 minutes to start from the Windows XP logo appears and the loading bar under the XP logo.
I even formatted the HDD drive each time,so there is nothing on other than a couple of programs that i need to surf the net,and messenger.But i have had much more then this on my computer and it has taken less than a minute to boot up.
And after i installed XP,i tried to install Vista Ultimate,but when the computer restarts to install Vista,there is no Vista logo and the loading bar stops completely again,and then the blue screen appears again.

And i have tested each RAM that i have in my computer seperately.
I even tested with and 1 GB (from Crucial) from a different manufactuer than OCZ and it is still slow.
So i guess we rule out that the memory is corrupt.

Oh yeah,i have a 1000 GB HDD drive in my computer,but XP cant handle that unless i split it up in 3 parts (Or so i heard)
I dont now if it is my HDD that im currently have Windows XP on that is woren out or if it starting to be busted.

Hoping someone can help me.

My system specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz
1 GB Crucial RAM (normally i have 4 GB of RAM from OCZ,but this was to rule out that the memory was corrupt).
Club 3D Geforce 8800 GTX 768 MB
Asus P5N32-E SLI

Hey,my computer crashed this weekend.I believe it was on tuesday.
Anyway,i had Windows Vista Ultimate on the computer when it crashed,i simply turned on the pc and when the Windows Vista logo comes the load bar under it simply stopped,and then a blue screen appeared.I tried several times over to restart the pc to see if it would work but no such luck.

I deceided to install Vista all over but since it wouldnt start up to windows i couldnt restart the computer in Windows with Vista install DVD in the DVD drive.
So i deceided to install Windows XP instead,since i could boot it from the cd rom.
i tried several times to install XP but each time it took a little over 5 minutes to start from the Windows XP logo appears and the loading bar under the XP logo.
I even formatted the HDD drive each time,so there is nothing on other than a couple of programs that i need to surf the net,and messenger.But i have had much more then this on my computer and it has taken less than a minute to boot up.
And after i installed XP,i tried to install Vista Ultimate,but when the computer restarts to install Vista,there is no Vista logo and the loading bar stops completely again,and then the blue screen appears again.

And i have tested each RAM that i have in my computer seperately.
I even tested with and 1 GB (from Crucial) from a different manufactuer than OCZ and it is still slow.
So i guess we rule out that the memory is corrupt.

Oh yeah,i have a 1000 GB HDD drive in my computer,but XP cant handle that unless i split it up in 3 parts (Or so i heard)
I dont now if it is my HDD that im currently have Windows XP on that is woren out or if it starting to be busted.

Hoping someone can help me.

My system specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz
1 GB Crucial RAM (normally i have 4 GB of RAM from OCZ,but this was to rule out that the memory was corrupt).
Club 3D Geforce 8800 GTX 768 MB
Asus P5N32-E SLI

1000 GB ? That's one Terabyte. XP can't handle a drive of that size.

XP can handle a TB Drive. But the XP disk must have at least SP2 on there. That is the SP where the drive limit was removed.

If you can boot from the XP CD you should be able to boot from the Vista DVD as well. So i would think that there is something wrong. Are you over clocking? Do you have sufficient cooling?

From what i am reading it is taking a long time to read and access the drive. Have you checked the cables?

I heard from someone i know that XP cant handle 1000 GB...He told me that i could split it up in three parts.
Oh yeah,i solved this problem myself,turns out all i had to do was take out the S-ATA plug and the power cord from the 1 TB HDD drive and it would start up XP normally.Took less the 20 seconds to start up.
So i installed Windows Vista as normal and everything went fine.
But when i connect the 1 TB HDD drive back on it does the same thing.
The loading bar with the 4 green lines comes up and it stops completly.
Im guessing the 1 TB HDD drive is broken or corrupt.
All i had to do to start up Vista normally was to take out the S-ATA plug and the power plug and it works like a charm.

What do you guys think.

(To actually think that it was my 1 TB HDD that was the culprit,i tested every single RAM that i have to make sure none of them was corrupt or broken in some way)

Well Mak was right, XP CAN do 1TB and more, but requires SP2 at the least to do it.

I looked it up myself, and he is right. Probably the same with Vista I'm guessing, but thats just a guess.

XP pre-SP2 had the 137GB hard drive limit on it. After SP2 it can handle 1TB drives. If it couldnt it would be silly for companies to release them since there are still over 30% of the worlds population using XP.

Vista can support 1TB even pre-SP1. Vista can support it since its release. This is due to the fact that larger hard drives were created long before Vista was put out. So Vista can handle them just fine.

Hmmm,i installed SP2 for Windows Vista and it still couldnt start with the 1 TB HDD connected.
Im guessing the HDD is broken....Oh well,i have alread ordered a new 1 TB HDD.
Thx for the info mak213.

If the issues are present with the TB Drive connected but they are not present when it isnt connected there is a issue with the drive itself. RMA it or return it and get a replacement. It shouldnt be happening. ;))

...Can you explain what RMA is please.
....Never mind,i googled it.
Hmmm,so i have to run a test called Drive Fitness Test.Problem is i dont have a floppy drive.
And i have even been in the BIOS before i allow windows vista to start up but i cannot see the HDD drive at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom