Compaq Presario 3410US

Status
Not open for further replies.
You take the entire laptop apart, then put the new processor in the old one's place. With laptops you can only purchase a few different versions of the processor you already have (usually the ones that they already offered when purchasing the laptop).

I know with other compaq's you take it apart, then get to the heatsink and take that off, under that is the processor, you take that out and replace it with the new processor (obviously must be the same socket and it would be wise to stick with the same model otherwise you will run into overheating).

Okay, thanks. It is my moms' computer and she was wanting me to do some upgrades to it and I didn't know if the processor could be swapped out with a better one. Right now it has a 797Mhz. It's only 4 years old though.

Okay, thanks. It is my moms' computer and she was wanting me to do some upgrades to it and I didn't know if the processor could be swapped out with a better one. Right now it has a 797Mhz. It's only 4 years old though.

Buy a new laptop.

Buy a new laptop.

I have to agree with Zedman on this. By the time you find a chip that is compatible with the mobo, you will be spending an arm and leg to get it. Your talking Pentium M chips which are more expensive than Core i7 chips cause they are so rare. You would be better off buying a new netbook or small notebook.

I agree with the others, and just to add to it you won't be able to get a processor that is a ton faster. Generally speaking you'll only get a few hundred mhz difference.

On a laptop just stick to upgrading the hard drive and RAM, aside from that you really should purchase a new laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom