Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
I would like to look into OCing my cpu.
amd phenom x4 9150 1.8ghz
ECS nettle3 mobo with NVIDIA MCP61 chipset

at 100% load for 15min (prime95) i reached 58-59C

I am curious about how to go about OCing this setup. I tried to enter setup during boot, and I had no multiplier/vcore settings to change. I have seen OCing software, but not sure which to get. I got AMD overdrive, but that only works with AMD chipsets. I didn't try NForce because it didn't look like i had a supported chipset.

I do not plan on a 24/7 overclock at this point, but would like to play around with it a bit just to see how it works.

On a second note, I have heard conflicting views on removing case panel for increased cooling. I only have stock setup of 1 rear exhaust located right in front of cpu. My concern would be the idea of dead air due to lack of movement because exhaust fan is not pulling air in through all the cracks of case. I was thinking of setting up a table fan blowing air into case via removed panel. This would probably solve dead air dilemma albeit a loud solution.

Edit: now at full load for over 1hr, with table fan blowing into case for 30min, cpu temp at 54-55. and i'm sure everything else is much cooler too

You're not going to get too far with overclocking on that.

Don't bother using software to overclock, do it straight from the BIOS if you have the options. But do it at small increments at a time when you're overclocking. You'll need to raise the voltage a tidbit to compensate sometimes as well. But don't expect much from the old phenoms.

I just thought of something, the 9150 is a standard CPU in a lot of cheaper prebuilts, is this one of those? If that's the case, you're pretty much out of luck.

Why stay away from OC software?
The 9150 came with my HP. I tried bios, no OC options to change. I'm not looking to get any crazy results out of it. If i could clock it to 1.85-1.9Ghz I would be a happy camper. Just want to OC it for the sake of OCing it. Not concerned about noticeable performance increase. If i were to buy a new AMD AM2+ cpu with the intention of OCing would the 9850 Black be the best choice? I believe i read somewhere that the 9950 was way too power hungry.

Also, If spec sheet for the cpu says:
Thermal Specification: 70C
does that mean that the cpu is good up to 70C (therefor about 65-68 at max load is safe?)

Okay, firstly, if you are going to build a new machine, stay away from the old Phenoms. The Phenom II's are much better.

Since it's an HP, you're going to be stuck pretty much if Overdrive doesn't work. There are other programs, but software overclocking is never as safe as BIOS overclocking.

Alrighty, well then is there anything special i should be looking for in a mobo? Figure that AM2+/AM3 would probably be a good idea so I could use my current processor till i get the cash for a Phenom II. Any suggestions on which CPU would be ideal for OCing, or any particular CPU i should avoid? I think it will be about 1-2 months before i have enough cash to buy either a PSU or a MOBO. both look like they will cost about the same.

All of the Phenom II CPUs are great overclockers. I have the x3 720, I've gotten it to just shy of 4.1ghz on a Core Contact (from 2.8ghz).

There are dual core phenoms as well if you're looking to save some cash. The main thing for overclocking is you want a "black" edition CPU if you're going AMD. They come with unlocked multipliers, easier to overclock.

As for a motherboard, the 790GX chipsets are good and inexpensive for overclocking. My TA790GX 128M has some solid options for OCing, and it cost me about 100 bucks as opposed to some of the 790FX boards that are much more expensive. They overclock better (ish), but they aren't really worth the extra scratch in my opinion. Actually, I'm pretty sure the second place top overclock for the x3 720 was done on my board, a 790GX chipset.

As for cooling, the Core Contact Freezer is a great and inexpensive solution. Here's the link:

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom