laptop screen keeps going blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
This is my Dad's laptop so I dont have ALLL the information, but I have a decent summary of the problem.

Laptop is Dell Inspiron 1520.

He was working on it and suddenly the screen went blank. Tried moving the mouse etc but it wouldnt come back. Shut down (by power button not start-shutdown), started again. Waited a few minutes, same problem happened. Went through this cycle a number of times. At one of the times, perhaps the third, there was an error message. Dont remember exactly what it said, something along the lines of settings have been corrupted, but it included the words 'corrupted', 'restore', and i think 'backup'.

Now when I took a look at it the first thing I noticed was the screen was much darker, kinda like when a laptop is not plugged in to the power. This one was plugged in though, and the taskbar showed it was getting powered directly from the power source. The start menu is on the left side not at the bottom, noticed that seemed to be blinking very slightly. When I opened the browser the whole screen seemed to be having display problems, seemed to keep getting darker and lighter. Finally monitor shut off. When it went off I could very very slighty make out some images on the screen, wasnt sure if the computer was on or this was just the last image that had been on the screen. Shut down and start up again, same thing happened except this time I played music in the background to test. Shut off again however the music kept playing so obviously the computer itself is not shutting down.

I dont know if the display settings are relevant so I'll include them here:

There's a big screen with a 1 in it and a smaller screen with a 2 in it.
The chosen setting is Plug n Play Mobile Internet [screen just shut off so cant see the rest of the name]
There was only one other setting in the drop down. It didnt look particularly relevant though.

It seems like this could be a display issue - the only reason I suspect its not is b/c it doesnt stay a certain way. If the settings are wrong it should stay incorrectly configured, not just shut the monitor off.

Would appreciate any help fellas is this computer is a life line.

Thanks!
Dan

since my last msg ive attached a CRT monitor to the computer. and now the external monitor is staying on while the laptop monitor went off. so the urgency is gone, however the setup is quite awkward. still dont know if its a hardware problem w/ the monitor being bad or a settings problem though.

btw is there some way to attach an external keyboard as well to the laptop?

Yes, you can use a USB keyboard.

Have you tried reinstalling the display drivers? Also, if the laptop has any sort of power management, turn it all to 'performance' or whatever equivalent setting there is.

Have you tried reinstalling the display drivers? Also, if the laptop has any sort of power management, turn it all to 'performance' or whatever equivalent setting there is.

can you elaborate on this? not sure how to access these functions.

In Control Panel there will be a 'Power Management' area, make sure all setting in there are set to max performance, e.g. don't turn off hdd's when not in use, don't dim screen, don't go into standby, etc.

i took it to the tech some hours ago. he said he'd have to send it away for a definite answer but is pretty sure its a problem w/ the backlight. i ended up just buying a new monitor to attach it to, which id been wanting to do anyway. so now its no longer portable until i fix this but the general setup is much better.

a mod can close this thread now, purpose is served :) thanks.

Hi

I have experienced the same thing with my ASUS laptop. As far as I can remember it, the screen went blank after I installed new software. Your dad must have installed something that is not compatible with the laptop. Could be the same problem in your dad's laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom