Looking at upgrading my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbetenia1

In Runtime
Im thinking of upgrading my pc a little. The specs are in my signature. My budget is around $400. Maybe a new graphics card? Anything else that could durastically improve the performance in that price range?

You could buy a quad core cpu and then sell your old cpu once you get the new one. You then take the remaining cash and buy a faster video card.

You could buy an AMD setup. Phenom II 955, MSI NF750-G55, and a set of 3 x 2GB DDR3. That'd update your for a little while, and then you could save some money and get another 8800GT for SLI, or sell the 8800 and buy a newer generation graphics card.

Out of all the stuff you've got atm, I'd say the gfx card is your biggest bottleneck. However, with the new cards scheduled to be released pretty soon, I'd suggest waiting a little before buying anything. See which prices drop, how much the new ones cost, how well they perform, etc.

Apart from that, maybe buy a new HSF for your cpu and OC it. That's still a pretty decent cpu, and with an oc on it I'd think it should be fine.

i was looking briefly at the HD 4890. do u think my computer can handle this card? or would i have to make a lot more upgrades to use its full potential?

also any recommendations on heatsinks?

Not sure if your power supply will be enough, not saying it won't but I just don't know. All I can say is that the 4890 is very good. Think it might.

the psu in your sig is plenty powerful.

my personal suggestion:

buy this combo
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

sell your cpu, mobo, and graphics card, which should net you just enough money to add to the left over money from your budget, and buy this monster thats finally been released to the public only a few hours ago, i assume.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

just my input >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom